× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN212 can't cope with large files

DNixon
Aspirant

RN212 can't cope with large files

My RN212 connected via my network router, and accessed from my MacBook Pro, can't reliably access large photo files.  Finder just locks up.  I have more success access photos via other applications such as Photoshop. Any suggestions?  

Model: ReadyNASRND2120|ReadyNAS Duo 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Are you using AFP or SMB?  If SMB, is "Enhance MacOS" checked?

What firmware is running on the NAS?

Message 2 of 7
DNixon
Aspirant

I access the RN212 via SMB. I’ve never seen a box for “enhanced for Mac”. Just found that box and checked it. What does that do?

Firmware is 6.9.4 as of last week. I guess it was 6.9.3 before that. I stay fairly current. 

Thanks for for the reply. 

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@DNixon wrote:

I’ve never seen a box for “enhanced for Mac”. Just found that box and checked it. What does that do?

I'm not a Mac guy, so I don't know all the details.  There are some unique file attributes in the Mac that require some special handling.  Those don't apply uniquely to large files, but they might apply to some photos. 

There could well be more to your problem, but enabling the setting is a reasonable first step.

Message 4 of 7
DNixon
Aspirant

Thanks. I’ll report back in a few days to let y’all know whether it helped. My sense is that it is Mac’s Finder app that is the problem. Other apps like Photoshop don’t experience the locking issue. Loading a 24 mb photo in them is slow but it never locks
Message 5 of 7
DNixon
Aspirant

Here’s an update on my issue: The recommendations above did not resolve the issue.  As I noted, I suspected Finder to be the problem, so I dedicated 4 hours to various levels of Apple support seeking a solution.  I have a follow-up call to schedule with them maybe today, but at their insistence I did update OS X to Mojave, before this call. That update disabled ReadyNASVault, but seemed to resolve the problem for Finder to a large degree. Then I got Vault reinstalled and as if by magic, Finder again locks, so the issue must be between Finder and ReadyNASVault. Maybe changing Vault from “continuous” backup to daily would resolve the issue. Meanwhile, I downloaded a Finder replacement called PathFinder. I’ve also considered scrapping the NAS altogether and moving my files to a cloud service. So far, PathFinder works like a charm and it has some handy features that might justify the $40 price tag. I’m going to follow up with Apple, since I have them interested and if I get a resolution, I’ll post it here. 

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@DNixon wrote:

I’ve also considered scrapping the NAS altogether and moving my files to a cloud service.

There could be some performance issues there (both keeping up with the file changes, and recovering everything from the backup).

Personally my files are consolidated onto a main NAS, which is backed up both local NAS (for immediate recovery) and a cloud service (for disaster protection).

FWIW, you could replace ReadyVault with a different cloud backup, and store TimeMachine backups onto the NAS (or use something like FreeFileSync).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements