× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN2120 Extremely Slow Image Load Times

bluemonkey136
Aspirant

RN2120 Extremely Slow Image Load Times

RN2120 is recently having some serious load times with images. This is used for manufacturing to save pictures of products. There is a folder for images created every day. I have 4 x 12tb IronWolfs in this unit with a raid 5 config. I am also using NIC teaming "Adaptive Load Balancing" on a static IP with IPv6 disabled. Originally this was not an issue, but recently it takes up to 20sec-1min to load a single image from any PC.

Thus far I have:

• Tested NAS read write speed: getting right about 11MB/sec read and write.
  • Ensured IPv6 was disabled on PC accessing NAS.
  • Restarted NAS.
  • Attempted to disable NIC teaming, but when I do no lights come back on for Network and I am unable to reconnect. No lights on back of unit where ethernet plugs in either.
  • Updated to latest firmware and hotfixes.
  • AntiVirus is not enabled.
  • No LUNs

I have another RN2120 that is running an identical configuration, except IPv6 is on DHCP, and it is not having these issues. If anyone could please provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@bluemonkey136 wrote:

Thus far I have:

• Tested NAS read write speed: getting right about 11MB/sec read and write.

What did you use to test this?  Was this for large file transfers, or were you testing speed with the images.

@bluemonkey136 wrote:
  •  
  • Attempted to disable NIC teaming, but when I do no lights come back on for Network and I am unable to reconnect. No lights on back of unit where ethernet plugs in either.

That is weird, and makes me wonder if something is wrong with the NIC hardware.  Did you try simply disconnecting one of the NIC cables?  That should be enough to effectively disable ALB.

Also, have you looked at the network stats in network_settings.log (in the log zip file).  That will give you packet loss statistics.  If you have it connected to a managed switch, then the switch should have these stats also.

@bluemonkey136 wrote:

If anyone could please provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

If you haven't looked at the disk health (disk_info.log), then I suggest doing that.

Also, do you regularly run the volume maintenance functions (scrub, disk test, balance)?

Message 2 of 4
bluemonkey136
Aspirant

I used NAS Tester v1.7, 400mb files on 5 iterations. It was just something I found people using to test on the forums here.

I have tried disconnecting one of the network cables, but I can't say I tried it for long. I need to retest this method.

I will pull the log files today and review them for packet loss. And I will replace all the network cables as they may be older than I thought. I am yet to run any sort of maintenance on the volumes. I was uncertain of the best practice for this or the length of time it would take as I only have about 36hours on the weekend of downtime to accomplish this.

So yesterday I removed one of the machines that was uploading images to this NAS and it was still slow. But today it seems to be running perfectly. Before removing this machine I was probably writing 26 images per minute to this NAS. Image files between 3 to 6 mb each. I wonder if it was still slow after disabling one machine that was uploading because the NAS had to catch up?

I am now writing only 10 images between 2.5-4mb each to it per minute and it seems to be running just fine. I am able to lookup images quickly, and I am having no issues writing them. Maybe it was just being loaded down too much?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@bluemonkey136 wrote:

I used NAS Tester v1.7, 400mb files on 5 iterations. It was just something I found people using to test on the forums here.

Great, that's useful, and the results are fairly easily duplicated.

@bluemonkey136 wrote:

Maybe it was just being loaded down too much?

Possibly.  The RN2120 has a slower processor than the other rackmounts.  It's possible that just rebooting it resolved the problem (perhaps a memory leak or something else was hurting performance).

@bluemonkey136 wrote:

I was uncertain of the best practice for this or the length of time it would take as I only have about 36hours on the weekend of downtime to accomplish this.

That could be a problem, though the both the balance and the scrub can be canceled.  The scrub time is similar to a resync.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements