× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN2120 - device offline issue

cyrill1
Aspirant

RN2120 - device offline issue #25406155

Hi,

Not sure if I'm posting to an appropriate topic, but it seems that I have a problem with RN2120 - it gets to a "device offline" error right after booting up.

The drives are WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 with NASWare 2.0 - I can't check now if they are exposed to load_cycle_count problem (which I actually just became aware of).

I have tried the following:

1. Following all steps at the corresponding KB article - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7004
2. Re-installing the OS from internal flash to disks - that succeeded, because admin password is reset to default value

both did not help. The device is visible in RAIDiator, with green status and can even be browsed (with no data, however).

I tried to follow the steps at this topic by @mdgm - http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75900#p422576 - reconnecting the disks to an ubuntu box and running mdadm/mount btrfs:
- mdadm --assemble --scan assembles an array at /dev/md127, but attempt to mount it causes kernel bug in btrfs/file.c error (according to dmesg).
- btrfs shows appropriate size of the filesystem, but that does not bring much info for me at the moment.

It seems that factory reset would be a workaround, but I extremely need some data from it (last backup was a week ago - this data is needed).

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards, Cyrill
Message 1 of 12
Nhellie
Virtuoso

What FW version are you running?
Message 2 of 12
cyrill1
Aspirant

Update:
all disks have more than 12000 load/unload cycles during the year - seems they are affected (however, ubuntu disk utility shows s.m.a.r.t. is ok)...
any chance to recover?

@Nhellie - 6.1.6, according to RAIDar.
Message 3 of 12
Nhellie
Virtuoso

You might to consider updating your firmware, that's way too old.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... .4_arm.zip

Do you have backup?
Message 4 of 12
cyrill1
Aspirant

@Nhelie, I have a weekly backup - but would be extremely glad to be able to recover files. Furthermore - how can one update a FW without access to device interface?
Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, the drives are spec'd at 600,000 load cycles, so you are nowhere close to the danger zone on that.

I don't know what caused your off-line problem, but it isn't the load cycle count per se.

There was a short window of time where WDC was setting the parking threshold incorrectly. You might have received drives shipped in that window. WDC has a tool you can download that will fix it (it runs under Windows).
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

cyrill wrote:
@Nhelie, I have a weekly backup - but would be extremely glad to be able to recover files. Furthermore - how can one update a FW without access to device interface?
Good question!

If the drives are functional, but the NAS doesn't see them, than I'd contact support. It'd be best to test the drives with WDC's lifeguard (requires connecting the drives to a windows PC) first.
Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

cyrill wrote:

I tried to follow the steps at this topic by @mdgm - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75900#p422576 - reconnecting the disks to an ubuntu box and running mdadm/mount btrfs:
- mdadm --assemble --scan assembles an array at /dev/md127, but attempt to mount it causes kernel bug in btrfs/file.c error (according to dmesg).
- btrfs shows appropriate size of the filesystem, but that does not bring much info for me at the moment.

Those steps are a last resort. It's possible you used a kernel that is too old or too old a version of btrfs-progs or that there is a problem with your volume.

Did you contact support? If, so what's the case number?
Message 8 of 12
cyrill1
Aspirant

@Mdgm - not yet. The device is older a year - should I?
What did I do wrong with the "last resort"?

Edit. Created a request for russian-lang support - 25406155.
Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN2120 - device offline issue #25406155

Sent you a PM.

It is useful if the chassis is dead and you are an advanced user who is comfortable attempting data recovery that way and understand that if you do not know what you are doing you may make the problem worse.
Message 10 of 12
cyrill1
Aspirant

Replied. I quite realize that I should be extremely careful. I just want to be able to save a week of branch office work before I go to factory reset (if necessary).
Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Updated the system to 6.1.9 and it seems to be fine now.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements