× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN214 Checking file system after firmware upgrade.

CJS_UK
Aspirant

RN214 Checking file system after firmware upgrade.

Hi,

We are having a problem with our netgear nas. About a week ago, the Nas came up with an error stating that it was in a 'Degenerated state'. After some generic troubleshooting, I decided to upgrade the firmware. Once the firmware was upgraded, the device rebooted then got stuck at 99%. I waited a few days and decided to force reboot again. Ever since then, an error shows on the small LCD screen saying 'Checking root FS'. When i do a raidar scan, it says that its 'Checking file system...'. Is there any way to roll back the firmware so that i can atleast recover any data on it? Unfortunitely it was not backed up.

Regards,

Harry.

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

The degraded volume message was telling you a drive had failed.  Rebooting at that point was not your best option.  That bad drive is also likely what's stopping it from properly validating the file system.  If you know which drive went bad, remove it with power off and try booting in read only mode.  If you don't, try with each set of 3 drives till it boots.  Once you know it will boot read-only, then try a full boot and replace the bad drive with a new one, inserting it with the power still applied.

There is a small chance there's not really something wrong with the drive, the data just got corrupted in a manner from whihc the NAS can't recover. You can use vender tools on a PC to test it before you replace it, if you so desire.  If it's still under warranty, you'll likely need a code from the test to get an RMA, anyway.

I suppose the drive test built into the NAS would also point to the bad drive, but the method I gave above is typically faster.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Try rebooting as "Volume read only".  Instructions are on pages 58-59 of the hardware manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Attempting to downgrade would be difficult (since the system isn't fully booting), and likely won't help anyway.  Whatever is triggering the file system checks will probably still kick in even if you were successful.

If rebooting as "read only" doesn't help, then your best option is to use paid support at my.netgear.com.  If you already have linux skills you could also try booting in tech support mode, and manually troubleshooting from the linux command line.  But if you don't have those skills, you should certainly use paid support.

Message 2 of 4
CJS_UK
Aspirant

Unfortunitely i have already tried booting into Volume read only and just booted into the same 'Checking system FS' as soon as it tries to boot.
I will see if any other suggestions come in then may need to resort to netgear support.

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

The degraded volume message was telling you a drive had failed.  Rebooting at that point was not your best option.  That bad drive is also likely what's stopping it from properly validating the file system.  If you know which drive went bad, remove it with power off and try booting in read only mode.  If you don't, try with each set of 3 drives till it boots.  Once you know it will boot read-only, then try a full boot and replace the bad drive with a new one, inserting it with the power still applied.

There is a small chance there's not really something wrong with the drive, the data just got corrupted in a manner from whihc the NAS can't recover. You can use vender tools on a PC to test it before you replace it, if you so desire.  If it's still under warranty, you'll likely need a code from the test to get an RMA, anyway.

I suppose the drive test built into the NAS would also point to the bad drive, but the method I gave above is typically faster.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements