× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 Healthy XRAID Drives Degrade After Every Restart

R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

RN214 Healthy XRAID Drives Degrade After Every Restart

RN214 system goes to a data degraded state each and every time the system is shutdown and restarted.  After the data is resynced, which takes the better part of a day, the system will once again report all volumes are healthy (see attached snapshots). The only error on either of the two drives is on drive 0 which shows a "1" in the ATA count.  I used to use the power timer option to shutdown the system at night to save energy but stopped that due to the powerup problems with data being degraded each time.  Any idea on how to stop this from happening?  Thanks.

Drive 0Drive 0

Drive 1Drive 1

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RN214 Healthy XRAID Drives Degrade After Every Restart

Hi @R_W , in case you never did so far it would not hurt to remove all dust/dirt from inside the box. With the nas shutdown remove the disks keeping in mind which bay each one occupied. If you don't want to conduct the cleanup effort, with the nas shutdown you could also only remove and reinsert the concerned disk to see, whether that gets any improvement.

To get more information about the error you could download the logs. The download will come as a zip-file containing lots of text documents.

(1) A look at smart_history.log might show you how often and when the ATA-errors occurred.

(2) Correspondingly in kernel.log search for the disktype and/or serial to see further information how the ATA interface is configured for the concerned drive. For example you should see something like the following:

Apr 02 15:18:13 nasname kernel: ata11: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Apr 02 15:18:13 nasname kernel: ata11.00: ATA-9: disktype, diskserial, max UDMA/133
Apr 02 15:18:13 nasname kernel: ata11.00: 11721045168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32), AA
Apr 02 15:18:13 nasname kernel: ata11.00: configured for UDMA/133

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

Message 2 of 17
StephenB
Guru

I suggest sending a private message (PM) to one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) and ask if they are willing to review your logs.  @Hopchen might also be willing to do that.

Don't post the logs publicly though.

Message 3 of 17
Hopchen
Prodigy

Yup, you can download logs and attach to a Google link or similar and then PM me the link. I will be happy to take a look at them.

Cheers

Message 4 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

That's usually caused by one of the drives not spining up fast enough.  The slow one is marked dead, but then seen as alive and re-sync is started.  Both your drives are 7200RPM, so it's not a speed mismatch that's causng it.  Too heavy a load on the power supply.maybe?

Message 5 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Sandshark wrote: "Too heavy a load on the power supply.maybe?"

...or lots of dirt/dust? Why not trying to cleanup the box? With the nas shutdown remove the disks keeping in mind which one belongs to which bay. Carefully do your cleanup and re-insert the disks into their dedicated bays. Reboot the nas and hope for the better.

Kind regards

Message 6 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

...or lots of dirt/dust? Why not trying to cleanup the box?

While there might be dust inside the bays, it's more common for dust to be inside the chassis.

You do need to be careful here, as you can damage the fans if you do this incorrectly.  Also removing the case can void the warranty.

Message 7 of 17
R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Your thought is interesting.  I've noticed that the last drive I installed, in the second slot, isn't usually recognized the first or sometimes second time I start the system after a normal power shutdown.  After 2-3 restarts through the menu option, the drive will appear and then the resync process fully engages.  That drive interestingly, reports to be without any errors, while the first drive installed always has an ATA error value of "1".  What would happen if I removed drive 1 and restarted the system with only drive two installed?  To test if drive two would get recognized right from the start in this one drive scenario.

Message 8 of 17
R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Forgot to add... only the RN214 is plugged into the backup ups.

Message 9 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@R_W wrote:

What would happen if I removed drive 1 and restarted the system with only drive two installed?  To test if drive two would get recognized right from the start in this one drive scenario.

The system should boot with slot 1 empty.  

Though if you have a spare disk, it might be safer to do an install with only the spare disk (in slot 1), then power down the NAS and move the spare to slot 2.

Message 10 of 17
R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the assistance.  I removed the drives and peeked inside the box.  Looks squeaky clean.  I bought the NAS in late December 2018, new.  I'll try the reseating of drive two and see if that helps.  Thanks again.

Message 11 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@R_W wrote:

I bought the NAS in late December 2018, new.  I'll try the reseating of drive two and see if that helps. 

If it's not the drives, then it would have to be the NAS chassis.  If that turns out to be the case, then you can request an RMA via my.netgear.com.

Message 12 of 17
R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does the NAS retain identifying data for a drive that was removed so that upon the reinstall of the drive, the NAS box would know which slot the drive was previously installed in?

Message 13 of 17
StephenB
Guru

The software RAID does need to distinguish the disks in order to interpret the RAID striping. And the NAS will work if drives aren't in the expected slots.

If there is an underlying concern, it might be better to share that.  

In general, if you are going to play around with your array you should make sure you have an up-to-date backup.  Ideally you'd play with a spare disk (by itself) - removing all the disks with the NAS powered down, and labeling them by slot.

Message 14 of 17
R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, a new development.  I moved the drive that was formerly in slot two to slot three. I then rebooted the system with drives in slot 1 and 3.  The system went through the resync process.  After about six hours, the system shutdown (maybe because I had the poweroff option to turn off the system on set to conserve energy (and get quiet at night)).  Next, I pushed the box power on button and the system booted up, without any data degradation error and data resync.  Surprised, I chose the menu option to restart the ReadyNAS.  After a very short time, the system rebooted and returned to a normal state.  No data degradation error, no six hour wait for resyncing.

Is it possible a single drive slot, slot two on the RN214-4, is defective and the cause of all this mess?

Message 15 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@R_W wrote:

Is it possible a single drive slot, slot two on the RN214-4, is defective and the cause of all this mess?

It is possible (I pointed out that it could be the chassis back here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/RN214-Healthy-XRAID-Drives-Degrade-After... )

You can try to confirm it by doing a fresh install on a scratch disk, and then moving that disk to slot 2 - then see if the NAS works properly.

Or you can just request an RMA via my.netgear.com

Message 16 of 17
R_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen, thanks.

Good advice.  I restarted the NAS two more times after shutdowns without problems.  Going to return the NAS.

Thank you for your help.  It's appreciated.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements