× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 Mirror Raid

Suzanb
Aspirant

RN214 Mirror Raid

Hi
I have a nas RN214 .
I have 2 x 3TB and 2 x 6TB
I want to mirror the 2 x 3TB and also mirror the 2 x 6TB, separately, reading about it looks possible, has anyone done it successfully. Help would be appreciated.. I have all my data copied elsewhere at the moment. Moved it till could sort out my problem. I don't want a raid 5, which it seems to want to do. Prefer a mirror copy don't want to loose my data.
Thanks Suzan
Message 1 of 6
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN214 Mirror Raid

Hi Suzanb,

Welcome to the Community!

By default, the ReadyNAS uses X-RAID which automatically sets the volume to RAID 5 when it has 3 or 4 disks in it.

Your volume setup is possible by switching your volume from X-RAID to FlexRAID and create two RAID 1 volumes for each pair of disks. You may do that by logging in to the NAS admin page then go to System > Volumes, then click the X-RAID button at the right side of the page. After confirming that you want to switch to FlexRAID, the X-RAID button indicator will turn gray.

You will then delete the existing volume, then create two RAID 1 volumes for each pair of disks. For a detailed step on how to create the volume, you may check the page 35-36 of the user manual (https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf).

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Suzanb wrote:

I have 2 x 3TB and 2 x 6TB
 I don't want a raid 5, which it seems to want to do. 

By default you'd end up with a 4x3TB RAID-5 group concatenated with a 2x3TB RAID-1 group (in one volume).  That would give you a 12 TB volume with single redundancy.

Your desired configuration would of course give you 9 TB total (between the two volumes).

@Suzanb wrote:
Prefer a mirror copy don't want to loose my data.

I would like to add that you really should maintain a backup, and not depend on the mirror.  RAID-1 has its benefits (simpler recovery is one of them).  But it's still not enough to keep your data safe.

Message 3 of 6
Suzanb
Aspirant

Hi Stephen.
That's what I had read about, but wanted to be sure had it righ, been a while since done anything like this. Thank you for confirming it for me.
I do have three other separate backups, a little paranoid, I know, but I have files I do not want to loose.
Just thought this system would enable me to add and access easily.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards Suzan
Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

You don't need to delete the initial volume after switching to FlexRAID if you first initiallize with only one pair of drives then switch to FlexRAID before you add the other two.  The first two drives will be the primary volume, containing apps and user folders (if you use any).

Message 5 of 6
Suzanb
Aspirant

Hi
Yes thanks was going to start fresh, but that would be easier
Regards Suzan
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos