× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 Power On Behaviour after Shutdown & Power Loss

VolkerB
Aspirant

RN214 Power On Behaviour after Shutdown & Power Loss

Hi!

Might be a very stupid question, but: My RN214's hardware manual (ReadyNAS_ OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf April 2017
202-11206-10) says "If the system was powered off, the system remains off when the power supply is connected or power
is restored.". I'm operating the device from a switched plug distributor and find, that my device always boots whenever I switch on power using the plug distributors switch, no matter if I have cleanly shut it down or not.

I'm not running the RN214 24/7 but rather as an "on demand" storage solution, so it would be quite handy if it stays off when it initally was off.

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch and greets,

Volker

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RN214 Power On Behaviour after Shutdown & Power Loss

Hi @VolkerB , each time you switch off your plug distributor switch the nas is perceiving that as a "power outage". Therefore it diligently boots "for good" when you decide to switch your plug distributor on again.

You could avoid this behaviour by connnecting the nas to an uninterruptible power supply (ups) and/or connect it directly to a power outlet.

Kind regards

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN214 Power On Behaviour after Shutdown & Power Loss

The manual is just plain wrong.  The only ReadyNAS I have or have ever had that behaves that way is my 4200V2, because you can get into the BIOS and change it, which I did.

And that's a lot of NASes:  NV, NV+V1, NVX, Ultra4, Ultra4Plus, Pro BE, Pro6, Ultra6, DuoV2, Pro2,102, 312, 316, 516, and 4200V2.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements