× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 Shows Failed! Message on boot

tviner1964
Aspirant

RN214 Shows Failed! Message on boot

I've just purchased an RN21400 and have populated with 4x 3TB WD RED HDD's.

The unit will power up and shows all 4 drive LEDs.

However, the only message displayed after Booting... is Failed! with the Power LED flashing.

I've tried using OS reinstall, factory default, disk test, memory test but all result in no action and the system returns to the Failed! state.

Is there a hardware reboot/factory default function without going through the rest/power button routine that will force the system to return to factory settings?

Worth noting that the system responds with same flashing power LED & Failed! message with no drives installed.

Is this a hardware problem with the unit?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN214 Shows Failed! Message on boot

@tviner1964 wrote:

However, I think the drive was pulled from the unit before it had fully booted resulting in the failed condition.

USB recovery just puts the firmware install image back into the flash memory.  I don't think pulling a drive during installation would have any effect on the flash, so I think there is a bit of a mystery on what happened.

But the good news is that the recovery was successful.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@tviner1964 wrote:

I've just purchased an RN21400 and have populated with 4x 3TB WD RED HDD's.

WD30EFRX?  OR WD30EFAX?

FWIW, the WD30EFAX are SMR drives, and several folks here have had trouble with SMR disks in an OS-6 ReadyNAS.

@tviner1964 wrote:

Is there a hardware reboot/factory default function without going through the rest/power button routine that will force the system to return to factory settings?

Of course the factory default option in the boot menu does that.

The other way is to zero or unformat the disks in a PC.  If the NAS sees unformatted disks, it automatically does a fresh factory install.

Note the NAS boots from the drives, and all the settings are on the drives.

Overall, I suggest testing the NAS with just one drive.  If you have a spare (other than the WD Reds), you could also try that, which would rule out a disk problem. 

Once you get the NAS installed on one drive, power it down and move the disk to the next slot.  Then power up, and make sure it boots.  Repeat this until you've gotten the NAS to boot up from each bay.

Message 2 of 6
tviner1964
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

WD30EFRX?  OR WD30EFAX?

The drives are all WD30EFRX which were pulled from a working RN104 on OS 6.10.8 so I know there's no issue with the drives.

The device will not enter Factory Default mode from the boot menu - it just shows the Netgear logo followed by "Booting" and then flashes to the Failed! message with the constantly flashing power led.

I can get into the boot menu ok, its just getting the unit to function beyond that which is proving difficult.

I've tried running without drives as well as trying a single new unformatted hard drive in the unit, all with same response.

Any other suggestions would be welcome as I think I've exhausted most of the obvious options.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@tviner1964 wrote:

Any other suggestions would be welcome as I think I've exhausted most of the obvious options.

Did you try running the diags from RAIDar? (no idea if that will work, but I think it is worth a try).

You could also try a USB recovery, and see if that helps.

Message 4 of 6
tviner1964
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Many thanks for the assist - USB recovery has worked and unit is now responding on RAIDar.

According to the chap I bought this from it was tested by installing a drive to prove it worked.

However, I think the drive was pulled from the unit before it had fully booted resulting in the failed condition.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@tviner1964 wrote:

USB recovery just puts the firmware install image back into the flash memory.  I don't think pulling a drive during installation would have any effect on the flash, so I think there is a bit of a mystery on what happened.

But the good news is that the recovery was successful.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements