× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN214 backup issues

Jehan-dixon
Aspirant

RN214 backup issues

RN214 Backup issues
hello every body
I am new in using netgear RN , i have couple of questions about backup jobs , can you help
1. can i create 10 backup jobs to backup data from 10 laptops and pcs on my network? is there a maximum number of devices that i can make backup jobs for them ?
2.does it allowed to assign time for my 10 backup jobs as 00:05 to 10:05 and they will start one after one? or i should use different time intervals?
3. I found in the backup job option schedule full backup (first time) , what does that mean? does it mean that first backup is full and the next backups will backup only the changes in data?
4. enable compression in backups does it available for all backup jobs or it is specified for Rsync jobs? and does this compression affect the data quality?
5. when i use include in button sequence for jobs . when i press this button does this start the backup jobs immediately or start them in their specified times?
best regards
Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

@Jehan-dixon wrote:
RN214 Backup issues
hello every body
I am new in using netgear RN , i have couple of questions about backup jobs , can you help
1. can i create 10 backup jobs to backup data from 10 laptops and pcs on my network? is there a maximum number of devices that i can make backup jobs for them ?  The configuration file uses a three-digit number for backup jobs, so I suspect it can handle 999.
2.does it allowed to assign time for my 10 backup jobs as 00:05 to 10:05 and they will start one after one? or i should use different time intervals?  It will start with the first and queue the rest, then work it's way through them one at a time.  If the NAS is on a shut-down schedule, it will complete all queued backup jobs before shutting down.  If you queue them separately, just make sure all are started before the shut-down time.
3. I found in the backup job option schedule full backup (first time) , what does that mean? does it mean that first backup is full and the next backups will backup only the changes in data?  Yes, for the protocols that support it.
4. enable compression in backups does it available for all backup jobs or it is specified for Rsync jobs? and does this compression affect the data quality?  Compression affects the time and amount of data sent over the network, it is not stored compressed.  With a 214, I think the time to do compression/decompression probably will take the same or more time to transfer the data uncompressed.  If the connection is metered, then it would be useful.  Some data like JPGs and MP3s are already compressed, so compression of the data has little or even negative effect.
5. when i use include in button sequence for jobs . when i press this button does this start the backup jobs immediately or start them in their specified times?  It queues them immediately.
best regards

For PC backups, you will have better results with a backup product that runs on the PC and uses the NAS as a target.  That way, it can use the Windows shadow copy capability to insure open files are copied.  I prefer Acronis True Image, but there are other options, including free ones.  The big disadvantage here is trying to get all the PCs to not do their backups at the same time.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

@Jehan-dixon wrote:
RN214 Backup issues
hello every body
1. can i create 10 backup jobs to backup data from 10 laptops and pcs on my network? is there a maximum number of devices that i can make backup jobs for them ?  The configuration file uses a three-digit number for backup jobs, so I suspect it can handle 999.
2.does it allowed to assign time for my 10 backup jobs as 00:05 to 10:05 and they will start one after one? or i should use different time intervals?  It will start with the first and queue the rest, then work it's way through them one at a time.  If the NAS is on a shut-down schedule, it will complete all queued backup jobs before shutting down.  If you queue them separately, just make sure all are started before the shut-down time.
3. I found in the backup job option schedule full backup (first time) , what does that mean? does it mean that first backup is full and the next backups will backup only the changes in data?  Yes, for the protocols that support it.
4. enable compression in backups does it available for all backup jobs or it is specified for Rsync jobs? and does this compression affect the data quality?  Compression affects the time and amount of data sent over the network, it is not stored compressed.  With a 214, I think the time to do compression/decompression probably will take the same or more time to transfer the data uncompressed.  If the connection is metered, then it would be useful.  Some data like JPGs and MP3s are already compressed, so compression of the data has little or even negative effect.
5. when i use include in button sequence for jobs . when i press this button does this start the backup jobs immediately or start them in their specified times?  It queues them immediately.
best regards

For PC backups, you will have better results with a backup product that runs on the PC and uses the NAS as a target.  That way, it can use the Windows shadow copy capability to insure open files are copied.  I prefer Acronis True Image, but there are other options, including free ones.  The big disadvantage here is trying to get all the PCs to not do their backups at the same time.

Message 2 of 4
Jehan-dixon
Aspirant

Thanks a lot

Best wishes

Message 3 of 4
Jehan-dixon
Aspirant

which is better timestamp or Archive bit to backup data from my pcs to ready nas ?

i read the cocepts of each backup protocols but i can't decide which is best for data integrity  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements