× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 compatibility with WD80FAX?

tommy747
Aspirant

RN214 compatibility with WD80FAX?

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has used the Western Digital WD80FAX 8TB drives in their units.   From what I see on the WD site, this drive is very similar to the WD80FZX, but is not listed on the Netgear Drive Compatibilty list.   Wondering what everyone thinks, risks, etc.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN214 compatibility with WD80FAX?

I use the WD80EFRZ (though it's presently in an RN524 I did use it in an RN202 for a while).

Tne WD80EFAX looks like it should be fine, though I think it doesn't have the side center mounting holes.  If that's correct you will have to remove the tooless plastic inserts from the trays, and screw the disks in with the screws provided when you purchased the NAS. Likely only one pair of mount holes will align (which is ok).

Message 2 of 5
tommy747
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your information.   The new unit will arrive tomorrow and I will see how these WD drives hold up.

Message 3 of 5
john_jsbbs
Aspirant

@tommy747
Any chance of a progress update with the WD80EFAX drives?
Message 4 of 5
tommy747
Aspirant

Update on the WD80FAX drives,  they have work flawlessly so far.  My RN214 has been running for several months and no drive errors of any kind.  I'm thinking of adding the 4th drive to fully populate the RN214.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements