× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN214 dead drives

joeC64
Aspirant

RN214 dead drives

I hope I'm not completely dead, but hoping someone has a solution-

I have (3) 4 tb disks in bays 1-3 and a 1.5 tb disk in bay 4.  I purchased a 10tb to place in bay one, and when that populated i was going to replace bay 4 with the old (actually only a few months old) with the 4tb from bay 1.  Well, here's the problem.  I pulled out bay one and replaced with the 10tb disk.  I was having trouble with the sled as it has a slightly different configuration.  to verify i also pulled out bay 2.........  Well, once I resolved i placed bay 2 back in and the system now says bay 2 is dead.  I then put in all original drives in their respective bays (nothing has been written to these drives), and now it shows as all are dead......  Is there a work around???

Completely lost....????

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

If I am reading you right and you pulled two drives of a 4-drive RAID5 with the power still applied, then you are lost.  Two of your drives are out of sync with each other and the other two, and you need a minimum of three in sync to have a usable volume.

Netgear paid recovery can probably recover most, if not all, of your data since you didn't write anything to it.  You can use that 10TB in a USB dock to hold the recovered data while you do a factory default with the current drives.  I assume you wouldn't be asking this if you already had a backup, in which case you just factory default and restore from backup.

I don't understand why you didn't just replace the 1.5 with the 10.  End result would be the same with less resync time.

Message 2 of 3
joeC64
Aspirant

Thanks!  Yeah, It was late and I was stupid......  Mostly just backups from other PC's.....  Not critical just would be convenient......

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements