× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 new HDD apparently not found

martinkitching
Aspirant

RN214 new HDD apparently not found

Hi all

I recently swapped a 2TB HDD in my RN214 for a 4TB HDD.  When I swapped another of the 2TB HDD's everything seemed to have gone ok - data recovery completed and when I went to bed last night it was re-syncing.  This morning it was showing data degraded and apparently stuck at that. Frontview was showing data degraded on the new disk.  It didn't seem to be doing anything so I removed the disk and reinserted it (this may have been a fatal error...).

The current situation is:

Front panel of the RN214 is still showing 'data DEGRADED'

Power light on the RN214 is flashing (2 flashes, pause, 2 flashes, pause etc.)

The light for Bay 2 (where the newest HDD is) isn't lit

Frontview is only showing 3x HDD (1x 4TB, 2x 2TB) and shows Bay 2 as being empty

Frontview (and File Explorer) both now say that I have 1.82 TB free of 7.62TB total

Other than assuming there's a fault with the new HDD, are there any other explanations please?  I don't understand how I apparently don't have the new HDD but do have the increased data capacity!

cheers

martin

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN214 new HDD apparently not found

@martinkitching wrote:

Frontview was showing data degraded on the new disk. 

The disk isn't shown as degraded, the volume is shown as degraded.    That just means one of the disks isn't part of the array (which of course is the case).

@martinkitching wrote:

Other than assuming there's a fault with the new HDD, are there any other explanations please? 

Well, the most likely explanation is that there is a fault with the new HDD.

So I'd start with testing it in a Windows PC using vendor tools (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).  If that is not possible, then exchange it with the seller. 

What disk models are you using?  Note some models are now SMR drives, which aren't good choices for RAID.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements