× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN214 on 6.10.2: The volume data encountered an error and was made read-only.

GJSchaller
Guide

RN214 on 6.10.2: The volume data encountered an error and was made read-only.

This past weekend, my ReadyNAS gave the following error:

The volume data encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data.

There's no indication what the actual error / issue is, only that there is an error, and my device is now read-only.

I have:

• Rebooted multiple times
  • Run Disk Check (everything passed)
  • Reviewed the Logs (no further errors or details are seen in them)
  • Run smartctl (long) on all 4 drives, all drives passed, no errors are present

At this point, I believe the issue to be software / file system related.  I do have multiple backups already (learned that one the hard way a few years ago), so that's not a worry.  Before I nuke it and restore, which would be a pain, is there any way to:

1. Find out what caused this, to prevent the issue from re-occuring
  2. Potentially fix it using a check / command, or a replacement part if it turns out it's hardware

I am an IT System Engineer for a living, so while I am comfortable doing most operations, I also want to know why an issue occured (root cause of failure), so I know how to prevent it / fix it in the future.

I have device logs and the smartctl results all downloaded and available, if needed.

Thank you for your help!

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN214 on 6.10.2: The volume data encountered an error and was made read-only.

@GJSchaller

Those BTRFS errors might be able to fixed on the backend but it would be best if you start over. Cause of this errors might be due to dirty reboots that caused transactions to not complete. Not really sure how to explain but if you have any chances of outages or power loss or disk failures while in use then that can contribute.

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GJSchaller

Have you checked status.log or volume.log for any warnings or information on Root OS volume or Data volume has been consumed to 100%? You may also want to check dmesg.log for any kernel or btrfs errors.

If there are FS errors, I would suggest doing a Factory reset if possible.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

In addition to dmesg, you can look directly in system.log and kernel.log for disk and btrfs errors.  Maybe also look at disk health (disk_info.log).

If you want to see OS partition fullness, scroll down to the end of volume.log at the df section.  The OS partition is /dev/md0.

FWIW, several folks here have found that when they rebooted with a read-only volume that the volume didn't mount.  That hasn't happened to you yet, but I wouldn't count on that continuing. 

Message 3 of 9
GJSchaller
Guide

Status.log, volume.log both look good.

dmesg.log has some warnings about my Ethernet - I did just switch how the device is connected to my network, but I didn't think that would impact the file system.... to be safe, I'll revert those changes and be sure.

As noted, I do have a backup, I just hate resetting a device without having an understanting of what failed and why.

Message 4 of 9
GJSchaller
Guide

OK, now we're getting somewhere.... found this in dmesg.log:

[Sun Jan 12 17:18:29 2020] BTRFS error (device md127): parent transid verify failed on 7765871394816 wanted 4157903 found 4225465
[Sun Jan 12 17:18:29 2020] BTRFS error (device md127): parent transid verify failed on 7765871394816 wanted 4157903 found 4225465
[Sun Jan 12 17:18:29 2020] BTRFS warning (device md127): Skipping commit of aborted transaction.
[Sun Jan 12 17:18:29 2020] BTRFS: error (device md127) in cleanup_transaction:1864: errno=-5 IO failure
[Sun Jan 12 17:18:29 2020] BTRFS info (device md127): forced readonly
[Sun Jan 12 17:18:29 2020] BTRFS: error (device md127) in btrfs_drop_snapshot:9412: errno=-5 IO failure
[Sun Jan 12 17:18:29 2020] BTRFS error (device md127): could not do orphan cleanup -30
[Sun Jan 12 17:18:29 2020] BTRFS info (device md127): delayed_refs has NO entry
Message 5 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GJSchaller

Those BTRFS errors might be able to fixed on the backend but it would be best if you start over. Cause of this errors might be due to dirty reboots that caused transactions to not complete. Not really sure how to explain but if you have any chances of outages or power loss or disk failures while in use then that can contribute.

HTH

Regards

Message 6 of 9
GJSchaller
Guide

I have a UPS configured and in use, so power outages shouldn't be a cause / issue.  I have backups, I'll just make sure they are good before I do a Factory Reset and restore my data.

My main concern will be my RNXtras apps, but hopefully that'll be easy to remedy.

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

If you've lost the installation file for your RNXtras apps, you can always log into your account there and re-download.  Depending on the app, there might even be a free update.

Message 8 of 9
GJSchaller
Guide

I have the installers - I went through moving NAS devices a while back, and learned from that experience to keep everything needed for a Move / Restore on a share on the NAS, and make sure that Share is backed up.  So all my scripts, apps, the ReadyNAS config, etc. are safe. 🙂

I went ahead and did the reset, and ran a restore overnight using a pre-created script.  So far, so good.  At this point, it's just a matter of restoring a few settings that weren't kept on the /data partition.  Everything else is in place.

I'd still like to know why the file system borked, if possible, but realize that not may be able to be determined from the logs.  It is what it is, I have backups for this very reason, and I'm just glad it wasn't hardware related and a $ cost to replace in addition to the time & labor.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements