× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 to RN626 Migration - Disk Placement

tommy747
Aspirant

RN214 to RN626 Migration - Disk Placement

Hi,

I am planning a migration of my RN214 to a new RN626X, and was planning to;

- Update firmware on new RN626X using scratch disk.

- Power off RN214 and remove all disks in order (slot1=8TB, slot2=8TB, slot3=14TB, slot4=14TB)

- Place disks in RN626X in same order.

- Power on RN626X

My question is this;

Is there any benefit in moving the larger 14TB drive to slots 1&2 and move the 8TB's to 3&4, and rebuild from scratch?  I would prefer to do the simple move, but thought I would ask everyone's advice before doing it.

Thanks 

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN214 to RN626 Migration - Disk Placement

@Marc_V wrote:

I don't think there is any benefit by switching out the drives even if you rebuild from scratch.

I agree.  

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tommy747

I don't think there is any benefit by switching out the drives even if you rebuild from scratch. Replacing the 8TB drives on slot 1 and 2 in the future is still possible and adding new drives as well.

The steps you will be doing would be the advised steps as well.

HTH

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

I don't think there is any benefit by switching out the drives even if you rebuild from scratch.

I agree.  

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

If you originally started with drives smaller than 8TB, rebuilding would eliminate one or more "layers" of your RAID.  That has minimal effect.  The size order of the drives does not matter at all to the OS.  If you have some running hotter than others, putting them on the top or bottom or next to an empty bay will probably reduce their temperature, possibly slightly lengthening their life.

I agree, not worth the effort.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements