× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214

Jehan-dixon
Aspirant

RN214

I have a netgear NAS 214 , i made my shares from the admin page using internet browser , i noticed that when i access my shared folder from windows using map network drive , i paste data or create a new folder in the mapped folder but this new folder or the pasted data don’t appeared when i open the shared folder from the admin page ,
Can you help me with this problem ?
i have windows 7 - 64 bit operating system
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN214

@Jehan-dixon wrote:
thank you for responding
I map the entire volume , and when i make a folder inside it , the data doesn't appear on the volume from the internet browser using the admin page.

The system will let the administrator make ordinary folders inside the data volume.  But those are not shares (which need to be created through the web ui, and also are not ordinary folders - they are btrfs subvolumes).

@Jehan-dixon wrote:

I have another problem ,how can i access my shares using user account ? when i try to access shares using map network drive and enter the user account and password , i can't access my ready NAS
I have users that i want them to access data as read only , i made the network access for users and file access for them as read only but they can't login or access any share

Create local user accounts on the ReadyNAS.   Those can match the PC user account/password if you like, or they can be different.  If they are different, just enter the NAS credentials (username and optionally the password) into the PC's credential manager.  

On permissions, I suggest keeping the file permissions as "everyone" read/write.  Control access through the network access tab in the share settings.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Jehan-dixon wrote:
I have a netgear NAS 214 , i made my shares from the admin page using internet browser , i noticed that when i access my shared folder from windows using map network drive , i paste data or create a new folder in the mapped folder but this new folder or the pasted data don’t appeared when i open the shared folder from the admin page ,

You are browsing into the share from the share page?

Are you mapping the share to a drive letter, or are you mapping the entire data volume?  If the latter, are you creating a new folder (or file) in the root of the volume?  Or are you putting the files/folders inside the share?

Message 2 of 10
Jehan-dixon
Aspirant

thank you for responding
I map the entire volume , and when i make a folder inside it , the data doesn't appear on the volume from the internet browser using the admin page.

I have another problem ,how can i access my shares using user account ? when i try to access shares using map network drive and enter the user account and password , i can't access my ready NAS
I have users that i want them to access data as read only , i made the network access for users and file access for them as read only but they can't login or access any share

please help
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Jehan-dixon wrote:
thank you for responding

The system will let the administrator make ordinary folders inside the data volume.  But those are not shares (which need to be created through the web ui, and also are not ordinary folders - they are btrfs subvolumes).

@Jehan-dixon wrote:

Create local user accounts on the ReadyNAS.   Those can match the PC user account/password if you like, or they can be different.  If they are different, just enter the NAS credentials (username and optionally the password) into the PC's credential manager.  

On permissions, I suggest keeping the file permissions as "everyone" read/write.  Control access through the network access tab in the share settings.

Message 4 of 10
Jehan-dixon
Aspirant

Thanks again for your support
I have already create local user accounts on my ready NAS , the thing that I want my local users to have read only permission because I don’t want them to delete or add data to my shares
I will try to add the NAS credentials in to the pc credentials manager tomorrow
Best regards
Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Jehan-dixon wrote:
I have already create local user accounts on my ready NAS , the thing that I want my local users to have read only permission because I don’t want them to delete or add data to my shares

Right.

So the first step is to make sure the users are using the correct credentials.

The second step is to set the network access to get the desired access.  Everyone access might want to be read-only, anonymous access might want to be denied.  If you have a group of users (e.g., local users) who should only have read-only access, then what you want to do is put them all into the same group, and control the access for the full group.

Message 6 of 10
Jehan-dixon
Aspirant

Hello
Can you please explain the folder owner and folder group , what is the effect of choosing a folder owner and or folder group or leave it guest as the default setting
Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Jehan-dixon wrote:
Hello
Can you please explain the folder owner and folder group , what is the effect of choosing a folder owner and or folder group or leave it guest as the default setting

Well, if you are looking there, then you are ignoring my early advice (which is to leave the file access alone, and manage access only with the network access settings).  The problem with using file access controls is that they can often be changed by users (by right-clicking on the file or folder with windows).  That can really mess up access management.  Using network access can almost always achieve the same results, and that is fully under control of the NAS administrator.

That said, the impact of the owner/group choice depends on the rest of the file access settings.  For instance, if a folder is restricted to one user, then you could set the owner/group to that specific user, and deny access to all other users.

Message 8 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

The owning user and members of the owner group can change the access rights to a file or folder (allowing the condition @StephenB is describing.  Left as "guest", anyone can change the access rights.  I'm not sure about ability to seize ownership (thus locking others except admin out), I've not tried it.

Another issue with using file access controls is that they sometimes get messed up.  I'm nt sure why.  It has happened to me twice, on different shares, and I've seen posts here form others where the same thing occurred.  It's a recoverable condition from the GUI, but can cause problems until diagnosed and fixed.

Message 9 of 10
Jehan-dixon
Aspirant

Thanks a lot you have been a great support for me
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements