× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN21400-100AJS last power state

davidr1
Luminary

RN21400-100AJS last power state

Hi,

I've just bought a new Readynas RN21400-100AJS.

I was under the impression this was supposed to remember the last power state if there was a power failure.

Last week after the unit had been shut down for some hours we had a power failure. When the power was restored the unit turned on and booted up.

I have a RN212 and it does not turn on when power is restored (assuming it was off before the failure).

Am I wrong or is the RN21400-100AJS misbehaving?

Many thanks,

davidr

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN21400-100AJS last power state

@davidr1 wrote:

As Netgear over here are out of stock on all NASs I'm not sure how I can get it exchanged. Amazon say they will but the price keeps

A less expensive approach would be to connect the NAS to a UPS (which I think is good practice anyway).

When the NAS is powered off, then the UPS will ensure that the NAS doesn't see a change in the input power.   When the NAS is powered on, then it would shut down cleanly if the UPS battery runs out.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

I was under the impression this was supposed to remember the last power state if there was a power failure.

That is the way it is supposed to work - see page 58 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Can you duplicate this by powering down the NAS, and then disconnecting/reconnecting power?

Message 2 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

There is a reason for this behavior.  If the NAS is on an UPS and the power fails, the NAS will be properly powered down when the battery is low.  When the UPS finally shiuts down and then comes back up when power is restored (assuming your UPS does that, not all do), the NAS's last state is "powered off", so it won't come on.  There is still a situation where the battery lasts long enough without the load of the NAS that the UPS never shuts down, so the NAS never sees a power cycle and stays off, but that's less likely.

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

There is a reason for this behavior.  If the NAS is on an UPS and the power fails, the NAS will be properly powered down when the battery is low.  When the UPS finally shiuts down and then comes back up when power is restored (assuming your UPS does that, not all do), the NAS's last state is "powered off", so it won't come on.  

Yes.  But he saw the opposite behavior (his NAS did start up when its last power state was off).

Message 4 of 12
davidr1
Luminary

Hi StephenB

Thanks for replying.

Did that before posting and the behaviour is the same..

Also checked the Model No on the rear to make sure it was a 214 and not a 314.

Bough from Amazon, sold by Amazon (Australia).

It is not connected to  UPS.

Just as a comment it is very hard to find any Netgeat NAS 21 series or 41 series over here - everywhere is out of stock. Odd.

Message 5 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Message 6 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, that answer disappeared and didn't let me edit it.  trying again:

@StephenB wrote:

Yes.  But he saw the opposite behavior (his NAS did start up when its last power state was off).

Actually, it's the same behavior.  The NAS came on when power was interrupted.  It does that without regard to whether it was powered down by operator intervention, schedule, or UPS battery level because the powered-off NAS doesn't know which it was.  It also powers on it if the power was on before the interruption, but that's not special behavior.

It would be best if there were an option.  But lacking one, the explanations I've seen for this behavior (and not just for ReadyNAS) is that for remote access it's better to come on when you wanted it off than be off when you wanted it on.  It's easier to use remote admin access to turn it off than it is to implement remote WoL to turn it on.  Oddly, though, the ReadyNAS line is inconsistent, and some units are even inconsistent.  Most of my legacy systems come on after a power cyle without regard to the previous state.  Some rack-mount units give you BIOS access where you can choose, but they are just re-badged SuperMicro systems, so they don't really count.  My DuoV2 stays off regardless of previous condition.  My 516, 316, and 312 also come on.  My 102 and 212 are inconsistent, though the 102 usually stays off and the 312 usually comes on.   I've not tried very hard to see if the amount of on, off, and unpowered time has any bearing.  I've decided it's probably a hardware thing, not a firmware option at all, and that could be the case for others.

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

The NAS came on when power was interrupted.  It does that without regard to whether it was powered down by operator intervention, schedule, or UPS battery level because the powered-off NAS doesn't know which it was.

FWIW, The hardware manual says it doesn't do that.  For instance, page 58 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

When you connect the system to a power supply or the system recovers from a power outage, the system
returns to its last state:

• If the system was powered on, the system automatically powers on again when the power supply is
connected or power is restored.

If the system was powered off, the system remains off when the power supply is connected or power
is restored. In this situation, press the Power button on the front panel of the system to power on the system.

That text appears for each desktop NAS.

Message 8 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

FWIW, The hardware manual says it doesn't do that.  For instance, page 58 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

That text appears for each desktop NAS.

And I don't think that's the only place the hardware manual is wrong.  That was likely the intent, and may even be set up in the BIOS but messed up in some way by hardware.

FWIW, I originally had my rack-mount systems set up to come up in the previous state and found that to be a bad idea when I was on vacation (with main NAS left running for remote access) and the power went off at home.  Even though my UPS is set to power the attached devices back on when the battery reaches a certain percentage, my NAS didn't come on when power was restored because it was turned off before its power loss due to UPS shut-down.  So, I was without remote access for the duration.  Now my main NAS is set to always come on.  It doesn't really matter for the backups, as they'll come back on on a schedule.

Message 9 of 12
davidr1
Luminary

My 212 behaves as per the manual ans StephenB says.

Methinks the 214 should also.

As Netgear over here are out of stock on all NASs I'm not sure how I can get it exchanged. Amazon say they will but the price keeps going up.

davidr

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

As Netgear over here are out of stock on all NASs I'm not sure how I can get it exchanged. Amazon say they will but the price keeps

A less expensive approach would be to connect the NAS to a UPS (which I think is good practice anyway).

When the NAS is powered off, then the UPS will ensure that the NAS doesn't see a change in the input power.   When the NAS is powered on, then it would shut down cleanly if the UPS battery runs out.

Message 11 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

It happens I just picked up an RN214, and it behaves exactly as yours does, at least on one try, so exchanging it is unlikely to accomplish anything, anyway.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements