× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN312 migration

pjhunter
Aspirant

RN312 migration

I have a RN312 purchased in 2015.  It is configured with 2 4TB WD Reds in a RAID 1 configuration.  I understand that the 312 is at end of life, but I am having trouble finding a recommended upgrade path.  I am a small business with 2-3 users.  The 312 is currently used primarily as a backup destination for multiple devices, as well as music/video storage, an FTP site and file sharing.

Can anyone suggest a good replacement option?  The 312 has served me well, but I think I would like to relegate it to a backup device for a new NAS.  Thanks.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pjhunter

It would be best if you will upgrade to a larger NAS like the RN424. This way, you will have more room for expansion if you are planning it.

You can use the RN312 still as backup but again as everyone is saying, a NAS is not purposed to be used as a back up device or the sole backup device. It is always best practice to make copies of your data.

Also, the RN424 has much better performance than the RN312.

HTH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pjhunter

It would be best if you will upgrade to a larger NAS like the RN424. This way, you will have more room for expansion if you are planning it.

You can use the RN312 still as backup but again as everyone is saying, a NAS is not purposed to be used as a back up device or the sole backup device. It is always best practice to make copies of your data.

Also, the RN424 has much better performance than the RN312.

HTH

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

@Marc_V wrote:

A second NAS backing up a primary one, as he is suggesting, is an excellent backup device and is exactly one of it's best uses.  Not as good if at the same site, but still good.  Relying on a single NAS, either via RAID or a separate internal volume is not a reliable backup, since everything can be damaged by the same hardware failure.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements