× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN3138: cannot change IP/DNS setting

Casgrain
Aspirant

RN3138: cannot change IP/DNS setting

Hi,

Ok so we changed our DNS servers at our business so now I have to change them in the ReadyNAS. Obviously I log into the UI, go to the network tab, select the settings from the gear of the bonded network interface (all 4 are bonded), select IPv4 and configure the new DNS server IP along with the search domain. I apply but when I return nothing has changed; old configuration is back! 

I log via SSH and check the resolv.conf file has not changed so I'm sure it's not a visual glitch. 

Another NAS, same make and model, at our DR site does not have this problem. 

Any ideas how to fix this? I tried rebooting already.

We're running the latest firmware 6.10.2

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN3138: cannot change IP/DNS setting

@Casgrain wrote:

Did the OS reinstall but still no connectivity... either that doesn't reset the network stack or I did something wrong

An OS reinstall will

• set the network stack to use DHCP, MTU of 1500, with no bonding
  • set the admin password to password
  • turn off volume quota (which is on the volume settings wheel).

Instructions are on pages 44-46 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RN2120/ReadyNAS_OS6_Rackmount_HWM_EN.pdf

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 15

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Casgrain,

Welcome to the Community!

You can try first downloading the NAS system logs and then check the volume.log to see if the OS partition is full.

If it is not full, you can try doing an OS reinstall and see if it fixes the issue. You may check this article for the steps on how to access the boot menu and select the OS reinstall option.

Regards,

Message 2 of 15
Casgrain
Aspirant

I deleted the bonding in hopes recreating it would fix the issue but now I have no connectivity to the machine... RAIDar shows the same IP as before but no way to reach the UI or even ping it... 

The sotrage isn't full I'm sure of that. I'll try your OS reinstall method and let you know. 

If I have to factory reset the device you can be sure we'll never buy a netgear product again 

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Casgrain wrote:

The storage isn't full I'm sure of that. I'll try your OS reinstall method and let you know. 

The OS partition isn't part of the data volume.  So it can be full even if there is plenty of space in the data volume.

You might try downloading the log zip file before you do the OS reinstall.  If that works, then look at volume.log.  Scroll down to the section that looks like

=== df -h ===
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md0        4.0G  672M  3.0G  19% /
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm

/dev/md0 is the OS partition, and it normally is ~20-25% full.

Message 4 of 15
Casgrain
Aspirant

I lost network connectivity as a whole now so I can't try this. 

Did the OS reinstall but still no connectivity... either that doesn't reset the network stack or I did something wrong

I'll try again tomorrow.

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Casgrain wrote:

An OS reinstall will

Instructions are on pages 44-46 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RN2120/ReadyNAS_OS6_Rackmount_HWM_EN.pdf

Message 6 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

OS re-install also requires working space in the OS partition, so a full OS partition is still a possibility.  In fact, an OS re-install can make that problem worse.  Unless you have some Linux familiarity, fixing that is best left to Netgear support.  Unfortunately, if you can't even connect via RAIDar and get the logs, there isn't any way to determine if that is the problem without FTPing into it in support mode and using Linux commands.  Do you have a recent log?  If you were even above 50%, that's an indicator that that might be the problem.

Message 7 of 15
Casgrain
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Casgrain wrote:

An OS reinstall will

Yes those are the instructions I follow. 

I log into the attached switch and I don't even get an ARP on the port, only an entry on the mac address table. I check the DHCP server and no new leases... Clearly this is not working to reset the network stack. 

Message 8 of 15
Casgrain
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

OS re-install also requires working space in the OS partition, so a full OS partition is still a possibility.  In fact, an OS re-install can make that problem worse.  Unless you have some Linux familiarity, fixing that is best left to Netgear support.  Unfortunately, if you can't even connect via RAIDar and get the logs, there isn't any way to determine if that is the problem without FTPing into it in support mode and using Linux commands.  Do you have a recent log?  If you were even above 50%, that's an indicator that that might be the problem.

I know my way around, usually I have console access but in this case... Do you have more documentation on the tech support? 

From my reply above, I have no network connectivity so it's gonna be hard to get logs or FTP in. Looks like a nice catch 22; need network connectivity to fix potential OS partition issue and need to fix OS partition issue to restore network connectivity. 

Can someone tell me why in 2020 some servers still don't have consoles ports??? Jeez... 

Message 9 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Tech support mode is accessed via the boot menu, and runs from the image in flash, not the drives, so it will be accessible if the problem is the OS partition.  Here is one forum topic that discusses how to accomplish this: /Volume-root-is-100-00-full .

Before trying this, you should unload all your drives (marking them so they get put back in the same order) and boot with just a spare drive (not contaiing any important data) just to see if the hardware is all OK.  If you get a valid volume and proper access, then checking the OS partition is a good next step.

When you do the clean-up, be very careful what you are doing.  There are a number of links that make it look like things (files you probably want) are on the OS partition, but are not.

Message 10 of 15
Casgrain
Aspirant

I was able to restore connecitivty somehow but the default password isn't working... got locked out obviously and now the webUI is completly dead. Even SSH access keeps booting me. But RAIDar can now discover it.

Quite frankly, this is a soviet quality product Smiley Frustrated

We'll see Monday if I can get further 

Message 11 of 15
Casgrain
Aspirant

Ok so I had to do the OS reinstall a few times followed by normal boot but finally got in! Thanks all for your help 🙂

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Casgrain wrote:

Ok so I had to do the OS reinstall a few times followed by normal boot but finally got in! Thanks all for your help 🙂

It's great that you regained access.

Now that you've done that, I recommend that you download the full log zip file, and check the fullness of the OS partition (volume.log as posted above).

Maybe also look in other logs for clues on what went wrong.  Mods here will analyze them for you if you prefer - you do that by uploading the full zip into cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc), and then send a private message to the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) asking for their help (and including a link to the zip).  Send the PM using the envelope link in the upper right of the forum.  Don't post the link publicly.

Message 13 of 15
Casgrain
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Casgrain wrote:

It's great that you regained access.

Now that you've done that, I recommend that you download the full log zip file, and check the fullness of the OS partition (volume.log as posted above).

Maybe also look in other logs for clues on what went wrong.  Mods here will analyze them for you if you prefer - you do that by uploading the full zip into cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc), and then send a private message to the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) asking for their help (and including a link to the zip).  Send the PM using the envelope link in the upper right of the forum.  Don't post the link publicly.

OS partition is 24% full (850Mb / 4GB), just like it's replica at our DR site. 

We had a talk internally and will be moving away from Netgear products; no tech support provided, product purpose makes it not worth paying for extended support, but mostly the product design doesn't allow extensive internal support (i.e. no console port whatsoever). Too much hustle and too much risk, so might as well redirect that effort to internal ressources instead. 

But thanks to the community for the help! That was quite appreciate really 🙂

Message 14 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

@Casgrain wrote:

We had a talk internally and will be moving away from Netgear products; no tech support provided, product purpose makes it not worth paying for extended support, but mostly the product design doesn't allow extensive internal support (i.e. no console port whatsoever). Too much hustle and too much risk, so might as well redirect that effort to internal ressources instead. 

I can't fault the other reasons, but I did want to comment on the ability for internal support and console port.

First, a console port is normally used for simple devices that run from flash memory.  ReadyNAS are basically headless Linux computers and run from the drives, so what could be done from a console port on other types of systems really doesn't apply.  SSH and FTP connections are available, though not well documented, to meet the needs one would usually get from a console port.

Secondly, while I have not seen an actual 3138, I would be surprised if the rear port labeled as "Reserved for Netgear Sopport" isn't a 5V or 3.3V UART port.  Every ReadyNAS I have seen has one.  While not officially documented, it's really not something you would normally need to use since the SSH and FTP access capability is there.  You can find quite a lot about these in posts here, however.

And third, there is an extensive, though not well documented, capability for internal support providing you are well versed in Linux.  Again, you will find lots of information about this here in the forum.  As an example of what can be done if you know what you are doing:  I have converted an older ReadyData RD5200 to ReadyNAS OS6 and added an external 24-bay Netapp SAS drive shelf.  But the typical NAS user doesn't need or want to be doing such things, and that's the business model Netgear follows for the ReadyNAS.

You are not going to find these to be much different on other brands of NAS.  So maybe it's not the product brand, but the product type you should re-consider.

BTW, I really do not understand why Netgear has failed to put a simple video port on their higher-end NAS.  While there isn't a lot you should need to do with it, the ability to see what's happening during boot can simply be re-assuring or help in diagnosing a problem.  Some of the motherboards even have locations for video components, and Netgear skimped on production costs by not populating them.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements