× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 loses ip address every day or 2

3CPO
Aspirant

RN314 loses ip address every day or 2

My RN314 has been losing it's ip address every day or two for the last couple of months. Rebooting restores the ip. I upgraded the firmware to 6.10.7 a while back but this problem didn't start for a few weeks. I have always used dhcp but have configured a static ip and get the same results. I have had no other issues with other network devices. Logs don't reveal anything obvious to me.

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN314 loses ip address every day or 2

@3CPO wrote:

My RN314 has been losing it's ip address every day or two for the last couple of months.

I don't see how it's possible to lose a static address (configured in the web ui).

Are you saying that it isn't responding to ping on the expected address?  Have you checked the LCD panel info to see what address it shows?

Message 2 of 7
3CPO
Aspirant

Panel shows "NO IP ADDRESS"

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@3CPO wrote:

Panel shows "NO IP ADDRESS"

With DHCP I am thinking.  DHCP "leases" IP addresses for a set period, and then the NAS needs to initiate another lease.  That process is apparently not working on your NAS.

First step is to check if ethernet is showing connectivity.

Is the ethernet LED lit on the back of the NAS?

Have you tried moving the cable to the other LAN port of the NAS (and/or changing the LAN port on the router)?

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?

If you remove the ethernet cable and reinsert it, then does the NAS get the IP address again?

Message 4 of 7
3CPO
Aspirant

I currently have NAS configured with a static ip. The issue exists either way. Any reason to change back to dhcp to work through your checklist. Not sure exactly how you mean to check if ethernet is showing connectivity.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@3CPO wrote:

I currently have NAS configured with a static ip. The issue exists either way.

That is odd, and suggests that ethernet might have failed (not great news, see below).

@3CPO wrote:

Not sure exactly how you mean to check if ethernet is showing connectivity.

There are ethernet status LEDs on the ethernet ports of the NAS, and usually are similar LEDs on the router/switch.  Just make sure they have the expected status for gigabit ethernet (green in the case of the NAS).

Then as I suggested, try removing/reinserting the LAN cable and see if the status changes.

FWIW, this is either a cabling problem, an issue with the router LAN port, or a failing NIC in the RN314.  Hopefully it is not the NIC, as that is not repairable.

Message 6 of 7
3CPO
Aspirant

I didn't wait for the next failure to replace the network cable and at the same time plugged into a different port on the switch. That was on 8/03 and as of today 8/8 it has not lost the ip. Previous to this the longest it had gone was two days. Cautiously optimistic, will give it a few more days and report. Thanks for your valued assistance.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements