× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN314, snapshots do no start on one home share, but on others...

el_patron
Tutor

RN314, snapshots do no start on one home share, but on others...

Hi there,

I have a strange issue with the snapshots on one home folder. There the snapshots do not start, allthough a snapshot folder is present. In all other folders and shares on the NAS there is no issue with snapshots, also on other home shares.

Having a look in snapper.log the snapshot job for this user is not showing up.

Having a look in system.log I see a strange message for this peticular user by saying that the share is not a btfrs share

Dec 21 00:00:07 BeckNAS dbus[2787]: [system] Activating service name='org.opensuse.Snapper' (using servicehelper)
Dec 21 00:00:07 BeckNAS dbus[2787]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.opensuse.Snapper'
Dec 21 00:00:12 BeckNAS snapperd[30500]: Snapper create-config
Dec 21 00:00:12 BeckNAS snapperd[30500]: config_name:6 subvolume:/home/Ulrike fstype:btrfs template_name:default
Dec 21 00:00:12 BeckNAS snapperd[30500]: THROW: subvolume is not a btrfs subvolume
Dec 21 00:00:12 BeckNAS snapperd[30500]: CAUGHT: subvolume is not a btrfs subvolume
Dec 21 00:00:12 BeckNAS snapperd[30500]: constructor SystemCmd:"/bin/rm '/etc/snapper/configs/6'"
Dec 21 00:00:12 BeckNAS snapperd[30500]: SystemCmd Executing:"/bin/rm '/etc/snapper/configs/6'"
Dec 21 00:00:12 BeckNAS snapperd[30500]: stopwatch 0.004592s for "/bin/rm '/etc/snapper/configs/6'"
Dec 21 00:00:12 BeckNAS snapperd[30500]: system() Returns:0
Dec 21 00:00:12 BeckNAS snapperd[30500]: RETHROW: subvolume is not a btrfs subvolume
Dec 21 00:00:12 BeckNAS snapperd[30500]: CAUGHT: subvolume is not a btrfs subvolume

how can this be solved..?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Did you ever have ssh enabled?  If so, it is possible that /home/Ulrike was created with ssh?

I think this could also have happened if the home folders were restored with a backup before the user ever accessed the NAS with file explorer or finder.

One option is to copy off the files, then delete the user account and the folder /home/Ulrike.  Then recreate the user account, and access the NAS with that person's credentials.  That should re-create the share.  Then copy back the folder contents.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Did you ever have ssh enabled?  If so, it is possible that /home/Ulrike was created with ssh?

I think this could also have happened if the home folders were restored with a backup before the user ever accessed the NAS with file explorer or finder.

One option is to copy off the files, then delete the user account and the folder /home/Ulrike.  Then recreate the user account, and access the NAS with that person's credentials.  That should re-create the share.  Then copy back the folder contents.

Message 2 of 13
el_patron
Tutor

I allready deleted and restored the folder, but definitely without accessing with the user credentials, but with admin access when restoring the data and watching things moving there... I will give it a try again, but start accessing with the users credentials.

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@el_patron wrote:

I allready deleted and restored the folder, 

How did you restore it?  I am thinking it was not created correctly (as a btrfs subvolume).  Instead it was created as an ordinary folder.

Message 4 of 13
el_patron
Tutor

well, I do not know what went wrong there and how I did it that time, but something is messed up with that home folder...

I deleted the user, and I tried to delete the folder, but it cannot be removed completely, or at least it has no effect trying it from the admin page.

Then I logged in via ssh as root. Then I saw in the home folder a single ".ssh" folder with a single file "ssh_authorized_keys" with only read-write rights to the owner, that was deleted. Even as root I cannot remove it. Very strange. How to get rid of the file and the folders..?

Message 5 of 13
el_patron
Tutor

ok. now I learned something on file attributes. After

chattr -i ssh_authorized_keys

it was possible to delete the file. Now I will follow the plan 🙂

Message 6 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Note that part of the plan is that you must log into the server using that user's credentials before you restore the backup.  That's because the NAS creates a share (btrfs sub-volume) for each user, not just a folder.

Alternately, from SSH, you can use mkhomedir_helper  <username>.to create it..

Message 7 of 13
el_patron
Tutor

I added the user share, logged in with the user credentials and the home-folder was created. I also added the access to the snapshots for the user and a snapshot folder appeared.

Then I copied back the files and activated the change of the owner properties of the files to the owner of the home share. With that, also a snapshot folder was copied back and the owner of this folder was changed to the user and owner of the home share.

Nothing further happened up to now.

Is there an easy way to check if the snapshots start working..? Currently I have smart weekly snapshots. I could set to hourly snapshots, but there might be a smarter way... Thanks!

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@el_patron wrote:

Is there an easy way to check if the snapshots start working..? Currently I have smart weekly snapshots. I could set to hourly snapshots, but there might be a smarter way... Thanks!

You could make a manual snapshot.

Message 9 of 13
el_patron
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

You could make a manual snapshot.

sounds good. But how do I take a snapshot manually with OS6..? I clicked around for a while, but did not get a clue how to...

Message 10 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Since snapshots are also subvolumes, I doubt you've gptten what you think you have.  Your "snapshots" are likely full copies of the snapshot contents, not just mostly pointers to the unchanged data,  And I have no idea how that is going to affect taking real snapshots.

AFAIK, there is no way to backup and restore or transfer a set of snapshots for a share except via ReadyDR, which still doesn't allow you to restore a share with it's snapshots intact..  It seems to be a BTRFS limitation, as I have looked outside of the Netgear GUI for a method and came up with nothing.

Message 11 of 13
el_patron
Tutor

@Sandshark wrote:

Since snapshots are also subvolumes, I doubt you've gptten what you think you have. 

I think that was a misunderstanding. I only copied the empty snapshot-folder back, not including any snapshot, as this did not work anyhow before.

Some minutes ago I checked with hourly snapshot and there was one snaphsot established for the newly installed home share! I think it is working now properly. Thank you all for your support here.

BTW: in the mean time I noticed the possibility of manual snapshots for non-home-shares, but not for home shares...

Message 12 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, so long as you are getting valid new snapshots, I think all is well.  What I explained is probably why it didn't work to copy them back.  That's better than it seeming to work and not being what you really wanted.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements