× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 w/ST4000VN000 on USB only formats to 2TB

SteveSgt
Aspirant

RN314 w/ST4000VN000 on USB only formats to 2TB

Using an earlier version fo the ReadyNAS formware, I previously formatted a Seagate ST4000VN000 4TB NAS drive to it's 4TB capacity, and used it as an external backup drive. I got an error after using it recently, so I tried to reformat the drive using the ReadyNAS GUI, and I could only get it to yield 2TB of capacity after formatting it in either EXT3, EXT4, or BTRFS.

Interestingly, I plugged the drive into a MacOS 10.11 system, and was able to format it to 4TB, run Disk First Aid, and found no errors.

After formatting it on the Mac, I plugged-it back into the ReadyNAS (with 6.6.1 firmware), and saw that it was formatted with Mac-HFS with a capacity of 3.67TB. After reformatting it to BTRFS on the ReadyNAS, I still saw 4TB (well, 3.64TB, actually).

So I'm not sure if the is a bug with the ReadyNAS 6.6.1 firmware, but it seems to be. Formatting a drive attached to the ReadyNAS should yield it's full cpacity, and render it logically (if not physically) erased.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN314 w/ST4000VN000 on USB only formats to 2TB

Sounds like the disk wasn't formatted correctly originally before you connected it to the NAS for the first time. Can't check that now.

After formatting it using your Mac it was formatted correctly so we were able to preserve the correct formatting when reformatting it.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements