× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN31400 – ReadyNAS 300 Series - Volume Data RAID Level 5 Innactive

Wenzu1981
Aspirant

RN31400 – ReadyNAS 300 Series - Volume Data RAID Level 5 Innactive

Hi

I have a Netgear Ready NAS 314.

I recently have experienced an issue with my Ready NAS. Firstly I was not getting an IP address and had to do an OS Reboot to try and re-establish a connection. I finally was able to access the Admin page after getting the IP Address fixed. I was prompted to update my firmware on the Admin page. I usually don’t enter the admin page so had not been exposed to this firmware update before, so have therefore accepted the update.

Following the firmware update to 6.10.7, I have basically no access to the volume data on my ready NAS. The status shows Volume data RAID 5, inactive disks 1,2 ,3 ,4 and states that 10.9 TB (100%) of 10.9 TB is used. I was aware that prior to the firmware update, I had 19% storage availability free. I should add that I use 4 x 4TB Hard drives on my device.

I have gone through the Netgear Community support forums and have since learned that my Ready NAS 314 may not be compatible to the new firmware 6.10.7. I have downloaded an earlier version of the firmware however it wont accept earlier versions. Currently doing a Disk Test which is in progress.

Can anyone suggest a solution or provide any advise to retrieve my data / fix my ready NAS.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Message 1 of 9
Wenzu1981
Aspirant

Re: RN31400 – ReadyNAS 300 Series - Volume Data RAID Level 5 Innactive

Hi All.

In addition I have also logged a case with the Netgear support team (Case Number - 46064517). My product is no longer supported by Netgear, and was directed to the community support forums. It has been 4 days, and I keep emailing Netgear support, however have not been getting a response, which is very disheartening. 

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Wenzu1981 wrote:

I have gone through the Netgear Community support forums and have since learned that my Ready NAS 314 may not be compatible to the new firmware 6.10.7. 

That is not the case.

@Wenzu1981 wrote:

I was prompted to update my firmware on the Admin page. I usually don’t enter the admin page so had not been exposed to this firmware update before, so have therefore accepted the update.

Do you know what firmware you were running before?

@Wenzu1981 wrote:

Following the firmware update to 6.10.7, I have basically no access to the volume data on my ready NAS. The status shows Volume data RAID 5, inactive disks 1,2 ,3 ,4 and states that 10.9 TB (100%) of 10.9 TB is used. I was aware that prior to the firmware update, I had 19% storage availability free. I should add that I use 4 x 4TB Hard drives on my device.

In addition I have also logged a case with the Netgear support team (Case Number - 46064517). My product is no longer supported by Netgear, and was directed to the community support forums. 

There are multiple causes for the inactive data volume, so I normally do recommend using paid support for this.  FWIW, it isn't caused by a firmware update.  It's likely there was an issue already there (but not reported), and the update just exposed it.

If you haven't downloaded the full log zip from the admin ui, I suggest you do that now.

You should have been able to purchase a support contract.  That wouldn't cover failed hardware, but it should include software support that would likely let you remount the volume.  There is also the option of getting a data recovery contract.  I'm tagging the mods, as they might be able to check on this for you - @Marc_V and @JeraldM 

@Wenzu1981 wrote:

I have downloaded an earlier version of the firmware however it wont accept earlier versions. Currently doing a Disk Test which is in progress.

It should accept any 6.10.x version.  But this won't help, and I don't recommend downgrading firmware right now.

Message 3 of 9
Wenzu1981
Aspirant

Thanks

I have downloaded the logs, however I don't know what to do with them.

Prior to losing my IP address I tried to send a file accross to the NAS, and it stated it was write protected. I rebooted the unit and then the issues became apparent. It looks like the issues may have been there fore the software upgrade.

I am also happy to put in a support contract, however everywhere I go it states that I am out of warranty and am not sure where to go to obtain a support contract. Can you please send a link? 

Message 4 of 9
Wenzu1981
Aspirant

Would remounting the volume result in data loss? If not what is the process of doing this?

Would prefer to obtain paid support contract, and it would be great if you could advise how to do this. If 1 Hard Drive has failed I could easily replace, but my preference would be to retrieve the data. which would be about 8TB in data. Mainly video files.

Message 5 of 9
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the ping @StephenB!

Hi @Wenzu1981,

I've sent you a PM regarding the concern that you have.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Wenzu1981 wrote:

Would remounting the volume result in data loss? 

Whatever caused the mounting problem could also have created some data loss.  There's no way to tell at this point.

@Wenzu1981 wrote:

what is the process of doing this?

There are multiple causes, and also more than one possibility for remounting.  Which is why I usually point people to support.

@Wenzu1981 wrote:

but my preference would be to retrieve the data. which would be about 8TB in data. Mainly video files.

Understood.  

FWIW, RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  A backup plan is the best way to do that.  So perhaps put that in place after you (hopefully) get the data back.

@Wenzu1981 wrote:

Prior to losing my IP address I tried to send a file accross to the NAS, and it stated it was write protected. I rebooted the unit and then the issues became apparent.

The NAS made the volume read-only in order to protect the data.  Rebooting at that point was (unfortunately) a bad idea.  If would have been better to back up the data before doing that.

@Wenzu1981 wrote:

I have downloaded the logs, however I don't know what to do with them.

Mods, and possibly support will want to review them.  Don't post the full zip publicly, as there is some privacy leakage.

They are confusing, but you can look in system.log, kernel.log, and systemd-journal.log for btrfs and disk errors.

@Wenzu1981 wrote:

everywhere I go it states that I am out of warranty and am not sure where to go to obtain a support contract.

If you log into my.netgear.com, and look at your registered product list then you should see a "support options" control on the right (right under "Product Info"). One of those options should be "purchase a support contract" 

But wait for the mods ( @Marc_V , @JeraldM ) to chime in.  I just tried clicking on that link on my RN526X, and it isn't actually giving me the option to purchase. 

Message 7 of 9
Wenzu1981
Aspirant

All support options being Phone, Chat and email have expired. Also hardware, accessory and power supply warranties have expired as well.

There is no option to purchase a support contract, however there is an option to activate a support card, however in order to do this I require a support contract with an activation key.

As all warranties and support have expires as the product is more than 5 years old, does this mean Netgear will not provide support?

Message 8 of 9
Wenzu1981
Aspirant

Please note that I have a case Number (46064517) and have uploaded the logs to Netgear, however they have been non-responsive.

I am unable to purchase a support contract. I think this is because my product is out of warranty and more than 5 years old.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements