× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN31400 Will Not Boot

JGulliver64
Aspirant

RN31400 Will Not Boot

I have a RN31400 that will not boot.  The power button flashes, the ACT light comes on for a few seconds and the display shows "Netgear Storage Welcome_".  That is all it will do.  I have tried holding the reset button while turning on the power, no matter how long I hold the reset nothing happens.  I have tried 6 different USB sticks to do the OS reinstallation.  They are 3 different brands and range from 8 to 16 GB.  I place them in the front USB port, hold the Backup button and press the power button.  Again no matter how long I hold the backup button nothing happens.  It is currently OS 6.10.0.  I contains 4ea 4GB hard drives setup as RAID5.  Any suggestions?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN31400 Will Not Boot

Since the OS boots from the drives, not the internal flash, USB recovery is never the first step to take, and is most often not the correct one at all.

Does RAIDar give you any more information?

What happens if you remove the drives and boot?

Do you have a spare drive you can put in in place of your current drives and see what happens?  If so, what happens when you do?

The answers to these will help direct where to go next, but you could try testing the drives with vendor tools while you have them removed.

While it shouldn't matter, it is best to label the drive order before removing them so you can put them back in the same order.

Message 2 of 12
JGulliver64
Aspirant

First let me say Thank You for the response.

No doubt I did not follow best practices.  While I know PCs & electronics, the workings of a NAS is greek to me.  Luckily I have two seperate backups of the roughly 10TB of stuff stored on this box.

RAIDar sees only my 2 Bay RN10200 Box.  No sign of the RN31400.

With all drives removed I get exactly the same results. With all drives removed no response from holding the reset button or holding the Backup button with a front mounted USB flash drive.

Installed a known good formated empty drive in the left most slot.  So with only one drive I get the same results as outlined above.

I look forward to more ideas.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 12
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JGulliver64,

Since you are still getting the same issue even if the drives are removed, this is most likely an issue with the chassis already.

If your device is still under warranty, you may contact support so they can process a warranty replacement. Hardware warranty for the RN314 is 5 years from the date of purchase. Support may also do additional hardware checks before they process the RMA.

Regards,

Message 4 of 12
JGulliver64
Aspirant

Well it is less than 5 years old, I set it up on December 15, 2014.  But there is no way I am going to find an almost 5 year old receipt.  I doubt I even still have that receiot and I am not even sure where I purchased it. 

I will keep hoping someone pulls a solution out of their hat.

Message 5 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm afraid I must agree that it seems something has gone bad in your NAS hardware wise.  I'm fairly certain the 314 has a hidden 5V level serial port like other ReadyNAS, but I don't have one and can't find any reference to the port via Google.  It's unlikely you'd find out anything useful from it, but it's pretty much your last hope. 

If you bought the NAS online, the seller's site may be able to give you access to a receipt.

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I'm fairly certain the 314 has a hidden 5V level serial port like other ReadyNAS,

I suspect it uses a micro-usb connector for that.

Message 7 of 12
JGulliver64
Aspirant

Ok, let’s say I find this Micro usb, what is it used for and how do I use it?
Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

It gives you console input/output.  You'd connect it to a PC, and then set up a terminal emulation terminal to use the USB serial connection (I believe HyperTerminal and Putty will work for this).  It's been a.while since I tried it.

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

I'm fairly certain the 314 has a hidden 5V level serial port like other ReadyNAS,

I suspect it uses a micro-usb connector for that.

I've been told that the first generation OS-6 NAS do use a serial port (not the micro-usb connector used in the newer models).

Message 10 of 12
JGulliver64
Aspirant

I am currently trying the RMA route.  Just in case that fails I'd like to see if in the attached image if the "UART" is the micro usb you refer to?  There appears to be a piece of tape or something similar covering the opening.  You can feel an opening through the tape.

I was just informed that my RMA has been approved, hopefully that process will go smoothly.

My Thanks to everyone who has offered assistance on my issue.

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@JGulliver64 wrote:

I'd like to see if in the attached image if the "UART" is the micro usb you refer to?  There appears to be a piece of tape or something similar covering the opening.  You can feel an opening through the tape.

Newer NAS use the micro-usb connector, but your 1st generation OS-6 NAS uses a serial connector.  I'd just leave it alone, since the RMA is approved.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements