× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN31400 gets stuck when starting

dvirgeva
Aspirant

RN31400 gets stuck when starting

Please help.

I receieved for a couple of days this message via email from my ReadyNAS device:

"System volume root's usage is 91%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support."

However, in order to try and resolve that, I tried to login to web interface, which failed, so I decided to switch it off and on again (clean shutdown).

After that, it gets stuck when booting, on 99%, pressing the power button alternates the booting message and "tracker-extract."

Any idea how can I get the device up again, preferably without losing the data on it?

Thanks for any help.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN31400 gets stuck when starting

@dvirgeva

Welcome to the Community!

This is due to the system root volume getting full, this usually occurs when an app stores it's data on the system volume or logs accoumulate. The NAS experiences degradation of performance and in this case the services were not running now since the system volume is already full making the NAS admin page not accessible and even booting up getting stuck.

You may want to try booting the NAS on Read-Only mode and see if data will become accessible for you to do a full backup but the best option right now is to contact Support and have a case escalated to higher tier for them to fix the issue.

How to boot the NAS on Read only mode

https://kb.netgear.com/22891/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-104-204-214-or-314#:~:text...

HTH

Message 2 of 9
dvirgeva
Aspirant

Thanks Marc,

Unfortunately the NAS is out of support and end of life so the interface wouldn't let me report anything to them.

I will first try to get the NAS up and get the information backed-up so that I can get safely more adventurous with finding a solution.

Message 3 of 9
dvirgeva
Aspirant

Hi again Marc,

Thank you very much for your help so far.

Unfortunately, read only boot gets to the same spot and gets stuck as well.

Do you think an OS Reinstall would likely resolve that? Does it clean the OS partition when reinstalls?

Otherwise, do you have any sort of guide on how to communicate with the device in Tech Support mode?

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@dvirgeva wrote:

Unfortunately the NAS is out of support and end of life so the interface wouldn't let me report anything to them.

If you are the original owner, then you can still get software support via my.netgear.com.  You do need to pay for it.  You don't want the gearhead support, that doesn't cover it. There is a per-incident support option, though you may need help from @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V to get it.  Cost would be around $75 USD.

There might also be a lifetime chat support option for your particular NAS - that would apply if you purchased it between June 1, 2014 and May 31, 2016.

@dvirgeva wrote:

I will first try to get the NAS up and get the information backed-up so that I can get safely more adventurous with finding a solution.

After you resolve this, I suggest putting a backup plan in place for the NAS (waiting until the NAS fails to make a backup isn't a good strategy).

Are you familiar with the linux command line interface?  Accessing the system in tech support mode isn't difficult, but you do need to be careful when cleaning up the OS partition.  There is also some risk that your NAS configuration files have been corrupted.  There is a script that can be run to re-build them, but if you aren't up to speed on linux it would be best to use paid support.

Message 5 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dvirgeva

OS-Reinstall will not help on the full system root volume issue. It would be best if you contact Support in this case.

If you purchased your RN314 between June 1, 2014 and May 31, 2016 then you have lifetime Chat Support, just login to your mynetgear profile and create a case for Chat.

If you have a recent backup of your data and you opt not to contact Support, doing a Factory reset might help or just like what @StephenB said if you are familiar with Linux and confident on DIY cleaning up there are script and guides on the community.

IMO, contacting support is the safest and best option to do.

HTH

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

OS-Reinstall will not help on the full system root volume issue.

It would actually make it worse.  So definitely don't do that.

Message 7 of 9
dvirgeva
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen.

I am sorry about not having backup in place, however, having that this device offers redundancy already and I do have other similar devices on standby in case of any hardware failure, I didn't expect a software Bug to be putting the device out of use.

I am busy with the support trying to get access to the data at the moment.

Do you have any guidance on how to connect to the device once it is in Tech Support mode?

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,
Dvir

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@dvirgeva wrote:

I am busy with the support trying to get access to the data at the moment.

Do you have any guidance on how to connect to the device once it is in Tech Support mode?

If you are working with support, then it's best to let them lead.  They'll connect remotely, and resolve the problem for you.

If that doesn't work out, post back and I can give you some basic information on how to reach the NAS locally when it's in tech support mode.  Gaining access is easy - the tricky part is figuring out what is using the space, and knowing what needs to be deleted.

@dvirgeva wrote:

I am sorry about not having backup in place,

Of course it's your data, and how much protection it needs depends on what it is.  That said, RAID isn't enough to keep it safe.  Hardware failures, software failures, user error, malware, theft, fire, power surges (among other things) can all result in loss.  So if keeping your data safe matters to you, you do need to have a backup plan.

However, support can easily deal with a full OS partition, so if that is the only issue it should be quickly resolved.

FWIW, in most cases this is caused by a third-party app.  Though there are some scenarios where the ReadyNAS application can also cause it.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements