× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN316 Display stays on all the time (just the "OK" and "NETGEAR")

Woodie1
Aspirant

RN316 Display stays on all the time (just the "OK" and "NETGEAR")

This began happening recently and I can't seem to get it to not display even after re-booting. Thanks!

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN316 Display stays on all the time (just the "OK" and "NETGEAR")

Hi Woodie1,

I agree with @StephenB. It will be best to contact NETGEAR Support so they can process an RMA for the chassis. Support may do some additional hardware checks and ask for the proof of purchase of the device before they process the RMA.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Is the RN316 under warranty (5 years for original purchaser)?

Message 2 of 13
Woodie1
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. Yes, barely. It was shipped on 11/21/14 to me. I'm the original purchaser.

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

I'd contact support then (via my.netgear.com).  I think the only way to resolve this is to get an RMA.  But maybe wait for @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V to confirm.

Message 4 of 13
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Woodie1,

I agree with @StephenB. It will be best to contact NETGEAR Support so they can process an RMA for the chassis. Support may do some additional hardware checks and ask for the proof of purchase of the device before they process the RMA.

Regards,

Message 5 of 13
Woodie1
Aspirant

Thanks to all who helped me.

Message 6 of 13
Woodie1
Aspirant

Oops, I just went to MyNetGear and I have two RN316 units and the one with the issue is out of warranty. My mistake, sorry.

Message 7 of 13
Woodie1
Aspirant

Hi StephenB, I was mistaken - I have 2 RN316 units and this one is out of warranty. Any thoughts on getting it repaired? Thanks!

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Woodie1 wrote:

Hi StephenB, I was mistaken - I have 2 RN316 units and this one is out of warranty. Any thoughts on getting it repaired? Thanks!

I don't think it's repairable.  

Note there is a proximity sensor that is supposed to trigger the lights.  So maybe check to see if something nearby is tricking the sensor???

Message 9 of 13
Woodie1
Aspirant

Thanks for your help Stephen, I'll just live with it until the next issue. Best, Woodie

Message 10 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

The ribbon cable that connects the sensors and display in the door can be problematic.  I had to re-seat mine to get the display working right.  You have to do some disassembly to get to it, and that might not be it; so you have to decide if it's worth checking.

Message 11 of 13
Woodie1
Aspirant

Thanks Sandshark, so I disconnected the unit and used an air compressor to blow out the small amount of dust that was inside prior to working on the door as you suggested. After carefully cleaning the unit and powering it up, the display worked normally. Just checked and it turns on and off as expected. Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 12 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Glad I could help.

I hope you smoothed out the sleeve around the cable.  That had bunched up on mine, which is what I think pulled it loose.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements