× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN316 - confirm mixing disk sizes

reburns
Aspirant

RN316 - confirm mixing disk sizes

Hello -

I have had one of the six 6TB WD60EFRX fail in a RN316 and need to order a replacement ASAP.  I'd like to confirm that I can replace that one drive with the newer 10TB WD100EFRX.  The RN316 is running 6.10.3 and X-RAID2.  I understand that it will not see any storage capacity increase until all drives are upgraded, but it's at least one small step in the upgrade direction.  

I searched the forum and from what I gather, I believe this will work, but a confirmation will boost confidence, thanks!  

- Ralph in Colorado  (not an IT guy)

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@reburns wrote:

Base upon that, the "Red Pro NAS" 7200rpm 7200rpm 14TB - WD141KFGX might run amongst the coolest?  At $20 more per HDD than the 5400 "Red NAS".

So it's between the "Red Pro NAS" 7200rpm 14TB and the "Red NAS" 5400rpm 14TB.  Not worried about the cost delta.  Got a suggestion?

Definitely go with the datasheet on the power use.  Both drives are good choices - the Pro should perform a bit better, and has a longer warranty.  So it's fine to go with that.

@reburns wrote:

I could add that I can access the RN316 data, but not it's network admin RAIDar page.  The front display reads "Recover data 66.64%", and I know the problem is disk #1 from a previous look at the logs (and the blinking bay light).

Normally you should be able to access the web ui, though it does run at a low priority, so it can time out.

Do you have a backup of the data?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
reburns
Aspirant

Along the same lines, there's larger WD HDD's that are not on the ReadyNAS compatability list for RN316.  Might I go with one of these larger ones?  (at reasonable risk...)

WD Gold Enterprise:

12TB - WD121KRYZ
14TB - WD141KRYZ

WD Red Pro:  
12TB WD121KFBX
14TB - WD141KFGX

WD Red NAS:
12TB - WD120EFAX
14TB - WD140EFFX
Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

All these disks will work.  You could also use the equivalent Seagate disks.  You will get a warning with the 7200 rpm models, basically telling you that the performance will be limited by the slower disks.  Based on my own experience, that can be ignored.  7200 RPM drives will use more power (and therefore run at higher temps).  I've chosen to stick with the 5400 class myself.

Note that many larger disks don't have the side mount holes (because they want to maximize room for the platters).  So with some of these models you will need to remove the plastic inserts, and use the screws that came with your NAS to attach them to the tray bottom.  The holes in your tray bottoms won't all align, but even one pair of screws is enough to hold the disks securely.  If you've lost those screws, you can purchase them from third parties - let us know if you need a link.

FWIW, I had a mix of WD60EFRX and WD100EFAX in my RN526x for a while, and had no issues.  The WD100EFAX does have the side mount holes.  Note the newer WD101EFAX is air-filled - it will use more power than the older WD100EFAX, and from what I've read is a bit noisier.

Personally I'd get a pair of disks up front, and take some advantage of the increased space.  Bigger disks are generally more cost effective when expanding vertically (at least over the long haul).  Though you do need to factor in how much you are prepared to spend now.

In your case, just getting a 6 TB replacement would cost about $166 US (Seagate ST6000VN0033).  Avoid the WD60EFAX by the way - it is an SMR drive.  Anyway, $166 is about the minimum you need to spend.

• Two WD80EFAX would cost $426 (current USA amazon pricing), and gain you 2 TB of space - $130 per TB gained over simply replacing the 6 TB drive.  The formula is (426-166)/2.  Each 8 TB upgrade after that costs  $107/TB.
  • Two WD100EFAX would cost $526 and gain you 4 TB of space which is $90 per TB gained - (526-166)/4.  Each upgrade after that costs $66/TB
  • Two WD120EFAX would cost $700 and gain you 6 TB of space - about $89 per TB gained.  Each upgrade after that costs $60/TB.  
  • Two WD140EFAX would cost $917 and gain you 8 TB of space - about $93 per TB gained.  Each upgrade after that costs $57/TB

Based on this, upgrading to 8 TB isn't that cost effective.  All sizes over 10 TB are about the same as far as cost effectiveness goes.  If you don't need a lot more space right away, then maybe go with 10 TB (since it is the least expensive up front). 

About a year ago I went through this analysis when I needed to replace two WD60EFRX - and went with the 10 TB option based on the pricing at the time.

Message 3 of 9
reburns
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Thanks for the thorough reply!

I prefer to spend the $$ upfront to upgrade for more storage, so will go with 14Tb based upon your reply, and stick with WD for now.  And IF the 5400rpm generates less heat, then I see the sense in that.  But that "if" might not hold?

"Red NAS" 5400rpm 14TB - WD140EFFX = up to 210 MB/s, 6.5W read/write, 3W idle, 0.8W sleep (datasheet)

"Red Pro NAS" 7200rpm 14TB - WD141KFGX = up to 255 MB/s, 6.2W read/write, 3W idle, 0.8W sleep (datasheet)

"Gold Enterprise" 7200rpm 14TB is 6W read/write, but 5.5W idle, 0.4W sleep so that's a big jump with idle (datasheet)

My old WD60EFRX 5400rpm are 5.3W read/write, 3.4W idle, 0.8W sleep (datasheet)

Base upon that, the "Red Pro NAS" 7200rpm 7200rpm 14TB - WD141KFGX might run amongst the coolest?  At $20 more per HDD than the 5400 "Red NAS".

So it's between the "Red Pro NAS" 7200rpm 14TB and the "Red NAS" 5400rpm 14TB.  Not worried about the cost delta.  Got a suggestion?

Message 4 of 9
reburns
Aspirant

I could add that I can access the RN316 data, but not it's network admin RAIDar page.  The front display reads "Recover data 66.64%", and I know the problem is disk #1 from a previous look at the logs (and the blinking bay light).

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@reburns wrote:

Definitely go with the datasheet on the power use.  Both drives are good choices - the Pro should perform a bit better, and has a longer warranty.  So it's fine to go with that.

@reburns wrote:

Normally you should be able to access the web ui, though it does run at a low priority, so it can time out.

Do you have a backup of the data?

Message 6 of 9
reburns
Aspirant

Ordered 14TB 7200rpm WD141KFGX.

Data is 80% backed up.  The other 20% I can get from someone else, but it'll be a royal PIA.  My next post will be if & how to upgrade space on my other NAS,  a Pro Pioneer.

Thanks much!  - Ralph in Colorado

Message 7 of 9
reburns
Aspirant

Just to report joy with replacing the failing drive from the array of six 6TB WD60EFRX with one 14TB WC141KFGX successfully.  I'll swap in another 14TB drive once I get the gumption to spend more money on it.  

Meanwhile, I'll research how to upgrade a Pro Pioneer 6 from x86 4.2.31 to OS6 so it will support HDDs larger than 4TB.  Where to find the downloads escapes me at the moment (following old thread:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-upgrade-question-on-legacy-Pro-...)

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@reburns wrote:

Meanwhile, I'll research how to upgrade a Pro Pioneer 6 from x86 4.2.31 to OS6 so it will support HDDs larger than 4TB.  Where to find the downloads escapes me at the moment (following old thread:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-upgrade-question-on-legacy-Pro-...)

Look here instead: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-Pro-4-HDD-Upgrade/m-p/1935155#M...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements