× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN316 updated Firmware to 6.9.3 and now have no volumes

TangoWhiskey123
Aspirant

RN316 updated Firmware to 6.9.3 and now have no volumes

I did the firmware upgrade to 6.10.1 and everything seemed to be going well unitl the unit needed to restart.  Then it wouldn't. The blue power light just blinked.  RAIDar says the unit is starting, but I left it for 24 hours and it never got past the starting step.  RAIDar shows both drives with the green checkmarks.  If I remove the drives, the chasis boots OK and shows as healthy.  If I put in the drives in after it has booted, it does not recognize them as having volumes ready to mount.  How can I get back to my having a booting unit with the data on my drives? 

When I boot just the chasis, the logs show monting other than a few message from the latest boot.

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN316 updated Firmware to 6.9.3 and now have no volumes

You should consider using paid Netgear support (my.netgear.com) for this.

BTW If you purchased your NAS (new) between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016 you have free lifetime chat support.

Message 2 of 9
TangoWhiskey123
Aspirant

How do I find out about the free support? I bought it new Dec 2015 and free support would be nice.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You should be able to get it via my.netgear.com.

Message 4 of 9
TangoWhiskey123
Aspirant

When I give them my serial number and purchase date, they do not offer any support other than paid.  They point me to this forum. 

This firmware update isn't working out too well.  If I knew that paid support would fix it, I might go for it.  But based on my experiece so far, I will pay and they will tell me there is nothing they can do.  I don't have a lot of confidence in Netgear at this point since it is thier update that caused the issue and then they offer no meaninful support.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@TangoWhiskey123 wrote:

When I give them my serial number and purchase date, they do not offer any support other than paid.  They point me to this forum. 

If you purchased a business class NAS in that date range, then you are entitled to lifetime free chat support.  So you could try to escalate their response.

There are multiple causes of the inactive volume problem - it can be related to disk problems or also to lost writes.  Generally we haven't been able to offer useful help here.  Paid support generally can do better.  Though a netgear mod like @JohnCM_S might also be willing to analyze your logs or even take a look at your NAS remotely.

Message 6 of 9
TangoWhiskey123
Aspirant

I don't think my ssytem qualifies as a business NAS.  If someone from NetGear was kind enough to help, that woudl be great.  But I appreciate you responding and letting me know the odds of getting it back without the paid support are slim. It's too bad, but good to know.

Message 7 of 9
TangoWhiskey123
Aspirant

Well, I figured out a way to get things back.  I did an OS reinstall.  Details are here. 

https://kb.netgear.com/22892/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312

I hope this helps others searching the archive who lost the volumes on the first go around!

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@TangoWhiskey123 wrote:

I don't think my system qualifies as a business NAS. 

An RN316 is considered to be a business NAS by Netgear, as you can see here: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-storage/RN316.aspx

@TangoWhiskey123 wrote:

Well, I figured out a way to get things back.  I did an OS reinstall. 

I'm glad that worked for you - though it is quite surprising that it did.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements