× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN31600 How long should it take to index?

ShannonM
Aspirant

RN31600 How long should it take to index?

Using File Explorer, I'd been unable to located files on our office networked NAS RN31600. On Friday I went to System> Settings> File Search and made sure "Enabled" and "Content indexing" were checked. I then hit the "Reset index" button. 

It's now Tuesday and  System> Overview still shows that it is "Indexing" and my workstation File Explorer is still not returning search results.

It only has 382GB of data on it!

Where am I going wrong?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN31600 How long should it take to index?

The number of files likely is also a factor (not just the total space used).  You could download the log zip file, and take a look in there for errors related to the indexing.

FWIW, the NAS file search is integrated into MacOS, but it's not integrated into Windows.  If you want to search the index there, you need to use the NAS web ui.

Message 2 of 4
ShannonM
Aspirant

Something somehow got changed. We'd always been able to search from our workstations' File Explorer. Why can't we do so anymore? Did I mess it up by updating the firmware on the NAS? Any way to fix it? We use the NAS as our main repository of files and using an entirely separate and unfamiliar method to find files will not go down well with staff.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Again, the file indexing/search feature in the NAS isn't related to searches in File Explorer. Windows does it's own indexing for hard disks, but doesn't index network shares (and doesn't use the index created by the NAS).

You can turn off the feature in the NAS if you like, and if search times in Explorer speed up, you can just leave it off.

FWIW, I have noticed some issues with searches of my own shares in Explorer over a while now that I've just lived with.  I haven't tried to isolate it, but I am thinking it is more likely to be something in Windows than it is the NAS. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements