× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN4220 24TB share mapped drive in Windows 10 shows as FAT and only 400GB

Jeff_Vincent
Tutor

RN4220 24TB share mapped drive in Windows 10 shows as FAT and only 400GB

I have a 4220 (fw version 6.9.5) with a share that I'm trying to map on a new laptop.  My old laptop mapped the drive fine and it shows up as NTFS and works without issues.

On my new laptop when I map the drive, it shows up as a FAT volume with limited space.  I tried installing the SMBPlus app and setting the SMB min and max version to SMB 3.1.1 (IIRC).  That didn't seem to help.  I've removed the mapping, cleared windows credentials and rebooted with no change.  Both systems are Windows 10, though on the one that currently works, I do recall seeing something similar but I don't recall if I did anything to explicitly fix it.

What might I be missing?

Thanks!

Model: RN4220X|ReadyNAS 4220 10Gbase-T
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Vincent
Tutor

So I may have figured it out.  I had weird issues with other applications such as MS Outlook connecting to the Exchange server and it turned out to be an issue with IPv6.

Once I disabled IPv6, I removed and remapped the drive to the NAS and now I see the full capacities as expected as well as being able to copy large files.

I'm still unsure why I could map the drive since IPv6 routing isn't configured nor officially supported in our infrastructure, nor why IPv6 would affect how the actual mapping behaved.

Regardless, it is working now.  

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @Jeff_Vincent , are you using quota on that concerned share? If yes, what happens, if you disable that?

Regarding the windows workstations:

- Are you using exactly the same credentials, when trying to map?

- Are the two windows10 of the same kind (eg both 64bit pro)?

Kind regards

Message 2 of 8
Jeff_Vincent
Tutor

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  We have no quotas defined at all.  Additionally we use the same user to connect (we only have one user defined besides the default admin).

All systems that are connecting are WIndows 10 x64 Enterprise. The only difference is the one that doesn't work is using a managed corporate image.  I kind of suspected maybe a group policy difference, but nothing has popped up in my searches yet suggesting what policy to look at.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Jeff_Vincent wrote: "I kind of suspected maybe a group policy difference"

As the nas part is not different for both workstations your assumption to me smells like a very promising trace. I think you are on the right track. Good luck with with fixing and kind regards

Message 4 of 8
Jeff_Vincent
Tutor

Any idea what group policy settings might affect remote drive mapping?

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Jeff_Vincent wrote: "Any idea what group policy settings might affect remote drive mapping?"

Fortunately I do not need to wrestle with this. However, here is a guide how to setup network drives with group policies. You might want to have a look at example2, which lays out the process for individual users in contrast to example1 dealing with a department network drive.

https://activedirectorypro.com/map-network-drives-with-group-policy/

Kind regards

Message 6 of 8
Jeff_Vincent
Tutor

So I may have figured it out.  I had weird issues with other applications such as MS Outlook connecting to the Exchange server and it turned out to be an issue with IPv6.

Once I disabled IPv6, I removed and remapped the drive to the NAS and now I see the full capacities as expected as well as being able to copy large files.

I'm still unsure why I could map the drive since IPv6 routing isn't configured nor officially supported in our infrastructure, nor why IPv6 would affect how the actual mapping behaved.

Regardless, it is working now.  

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Jeff_Vincent wrote:

IPv6 routing isn't configured nor officially supported in our infrastructure

Windows 10 still might use link local ipv6 addresses.  I always recommend disabling ipv6 in the NAS unless your infrastructure uses it.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements