× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN516 and OS 6 POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Govnah
Aspirant

RN516 and OS 6 POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have spent days troubleshooting this whacked out POS RN516 and OS 6 I'm about to explode. Anyone on the fence thinking about purchasing a ReadyNAS w/ OS 6 save yourself the time, frustration, and possible data loss and run to the next vendor. Currently I am in no state to discuss all the technical issues but today was the last draw, came home and tried to access a file via the RN516 and nothing. Workstation locked up and went I tried to access frontview, offline! Power-cycled the RN516 for the love god only knows how many times and now the volume is resynching. I am sick and tired of NTGR support asking me to reload the firmware and perform a factory reset I could scream.

Fortunately for me I still have my ReadyNAS Pro that is rock solid for what I use it for or I would be in a pita. Sorry for the rant but after weeks and money spent I have never experienced a piece of technology at best is still beta and should have never been released to the masses.
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: RN516 and OS 6 POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By rule of thumb (and a lot of NAS experience): Majority of issues are caused by the HDD installed.

Using Netgear-supplied HDD?

What HDD, make, model, firmware?
Message 2 of 6
Govnah
Aspirant

The HDs are on the HCL list! WD 3TB Reds..........
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Govnah wrote:
The HDs are on the HCL list! WD 3TB Reds..........
They should be fine (at least they are in my Pro 6 and my RN102). Do you see any SMART errors? (though I assume Support has also asked that...)

If they can't find anything, maybe ask for an RMA, under the assumption that it might be a hard-to-diagnose hardware issue.
Message 4 of 6
Govnah
Aspirant

No SMART errors. The main issues that I have are the following:

1. Apps, just a mess. genie+marketplace continues to cause issues. I have to leave disabled to see what is installed and what is available. I know how to address the issue given to me by a L3 tech from NTGR that requires SSHing into the box and performing a set of commands. the L3 also admitted that NTGR is aware of the issues associate with "Apps" and hope to have addressed with 6.1. Some apps seem to have a mind of their own, starting and stopping with no logical reason, just bizarre.

2. Whenever I perform a large data migration or access a large file, the RN516 will become lethargic and I have to perform a reboot which never works from either frontview and from SSH, I have to power-cycle.

I am somewhat technical and thank god because I can't imagine being non-technical and owning a RN with OS 6, NTGR should of done their due diligence and worked out all the issues before releasing to the public. Currently I have a scheuled RSync job setup between my RN516 and RN Pro, my plan was to sell the RN Pro but at this point I have no confidence in the RN516 and OS6. My RNPro has been rock solid for years and expected the RN516 to surpass the RNPro from both stability and features.
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To reboot the NAS via SSH you would do

# rn_shutdown -r

which makes use of the rnutil utility.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos