× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN51600 - get memory error on startup

Perbor
Aspirant

RN51600 - get memory error on startup

Hi

My ReadNAS cannot start, can´t even reach the boot menu. Display says Memory Error. 

Anyone that has suggestions? Could it be physical memory? Anyone that knows what memory to buy and how to replace?

If not possible to get NAS started, how to get the data onto a new device?

Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Perbor wrote:

Display says Memory Error.  Could it be physical memory?

Yes.  There is a boot-menu memory test you can also try to run to confirm this.  See pages 120-121 of the manual:

@Perbor wrote:

Anyone that knows what memory to buy and how to replace?

It's not a NAS model I have, but accessing the RAM will require some disassembly.

Here are a couple of links that might be useful:

The first link is from someone who upgraded both the memory and the CPU, so it has some steps that aren't needed. 

The second isn't as complete, but is a bit simpler to follow. The RAM slots are at the bottom of the system board picture in the second link - you can also see them in the third post of the first link.

RAM is spec'd at PC3-12800 ECC unbuffered.  The RN516 comes with 4 GB, but you might as well get an 8 GB module - prices are about the same.  This should be compatible:

I'm tagging @Sandshark, as he has more hardware expertise than I have.

If you aren't comfortable with the disassembly, you could look for a local PC repair shop and see if they are willing to do it for you.  You should provide them the links, as they likely haven't worked with an RN516 before. 

Message 2 of 12
Perbor
Aspirant

Thanks for the input and the links!!

Seems the Crucial memory is hard to find in Sweden, it is orderable to Sweden from USA but that takes a while and the freight is more than cost of the memory. 

What I can find in Sweden are used DDR3L-RDIMM-8GB-12800R ECC memories, sold with 12 month warranty. Anything to consider or should I go for the longer devliery? 

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Perbor wrote:

What I can find in Sweden are used DDR3L-RDIMM-8GB-12800R ECC memories, sold with 12 month warranty. Anything to consider or should I go for the longer devliery? 

You do want to make sure it is unbuffered ECC memory.

Also I'd check availability of 4G modules also, as the suggestion to go with 8 GB was based on the small cost difference in the US.

Message 4 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

The "R's" in "DDR3L-RDIMM-8GB-12800R ECC" mean "registered", aka buffered, so that won't work.  You want DDR3L-12800E, though sometimes the E is omitted and it just says ECC Unbuffered and is sometimes also labeled as a UDIMM.

It's not uncommon, a lot of HP and Lenovo servers used it, and I know of no reason a specific brand would be better than another.

Message 5 of 12
Perbor
Aspirant

Thanks for all advice!

I found a used memory at low cost and fast delivery ” HP 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800E ECC UDIMM”
Hope I got all params correct.
Message 6 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Looks right to me.

Message 7 of 12
Perbor
Aspirant

I got the memory, installed but the memory error remains. 😞

Anyone with any suggestions?

Message 8 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

I've never tried booting a 516 with just one memory stick, but you could try it.

Message 9 of 12
Perbor
Aspirant

Yeah, I tried that but the "memory error" comes before the led panel turns off.. (after which I should press the OK button to divert startup to the USB). I tried pushing OK button before as well and even before starting up but it never goes to the USB it just displays "memory error" and fan keeps spinning at high speed. 

Seems I am stuck 😞

Anyone who knows how to retrieve the data from the Raid disks?

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Perbor wrote:

Anyone who knows how to retrieve the data from the Raid disks?

If you can find a used 6-8 bay OS-6 ReadyNAS, you could simply migrate the disks.  Desktop options include the RN316, the RN428, RN526, RN528, RN626, and RN628 (as well as another RN516).  A legacy Pro 6 or Ultra 6 can also be converted to OS-6, and after that is done the disks could also be migrated to those platforms.    With a legacy NAS, make sure you get all the disk trays - your RN516 trays won't fit.

Either way, I'd start with a test disk, and use that to make sure the replacement NAS can boot with the disk in any slot.  And of course, update the firmware if necessary.  Then migrate the disks (preserving slot order if you can).

If you get a suitable 6-bay USB enclosure (or have other means of connecting 6 disks to a PC), you could boot the PC up under  linux, and manually assemble and mount the BTRFS data volume.  Or use Windows and purchase ReclaiMe RAID recovery software.  There are some other recovery packages that can be used - you need something that supports both mdadm software RAID and the BTRFS file system. 

Message 11 of 12
Perbor
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions!

I tried to find a used 6-8 bay OS-6 ReadyNAS but could not find any at reasonable cost with swedish delivery.

I am leaning on simply buying a new NAS.

I have the vital stuff backed up and most of the other can be restored with "some" work. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements