× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN526X - Bluetooth Adatper

michaeldowns
Aspirant

RN526X - Bluetooth Adatper

Installing a new RN526X and it included a bluetooth USB adapter, what is it used for?

I have checked documentation and searched Community messages.

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN526X - Bluetooth Adatper

@Sandshark wrote:

According to the folks at Netgear, the Bluetooth dongle will be used with a new smartphone app under development called Insight. 

The Insight app is available for IOS and Android, but I'm not aware of support via Bluetooth with it.  See here: What-can-I-do-with-Insight .

Yes, this was intended to allow some management access to the NAS even if the LAN connection wasn't working.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think they abandoned this idea later on.  The Insight app manages the NAS through ReadyCloud (and it also includes management of some other Netgear products).

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

I found this: We found one other item in the box that we had not seen before, a small Bluetooth dongle intended to plug into one of the USB 3.0 ports. According to the folks at Netgear, the Bluetooth dongle will be used with a new smartphone app under development called Insight.  The Insight app will be used for server setup and monitoring and will offer a second and backup channel of communication with the server for technical support if connection to the Internet is not available due to an Ethernet issue. According to Netgear: “Insight is an industry first – the ease of use of app-based management interface, allowing you to setup and monitor your ReadyNAS whether the ReadyNAS is on the network or not.”

Here: http://appletechtalk.com/readynas-rn526x/.

The Insight app is available for IOS and Android, but I'm not aware of support via Bluetooth with it.  See here: What-can-I-do-with-Insight .

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

According to the folks at Netgear, the Bluetooth dongle will be used with a new smartphone app under development called Insight. 

Yes, this was intended to allow some management access to the NAS even if the LAN connection wasn't working.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think they abandoned this idea later on.  The Insight app manages the NAS through ReadyCloud (and it also includes management of some other Netgear products).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements