× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN626X- NAS disconnecting around the same time every night.

MichaelWDL
Aspirant

RN626X- NAS disconnecting around the same time every night.

I've got my RN626X installed in the area of my business where there is 24hr power (hooked up to a UPS) because I have a remote worker who needs access to a share between 2:00 and 5:00am to do his work. Unfortunately the NAS seems to disconnect at roughly the same time each night and for a similar amount of time. Typically from 1:00am to 5:00am with some notable exceptions where it disconnects as early as 8:30pm. Logs show that it's only the network card that's going offline and that during the disconnection the NAS continues to take snapshots. How can I resolve this issue? I'm on firmware 6.10.3. Thank you.

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN626X- NAS disconnecting around the same time every night.

@MichaelWDL wrote:

Logs show that it's only the network card that's going offline and that during the disconnection the NAS continues to take snapshots. 

Not sure what you mean by "the network card going off line".

But I suspect you mean that the network is dropping, but the NAS continues to run normally.  If so, the first thing to figure out if something is disrupting the power along the path from NAS to the internet - loss of power on any switches on the path to the router, the router itself, and modem (if there is one).

If there is an always-on PC nearby, you could set it up to ping an internet service over-night and see if it also loses the connection at the same time. gping is a free tool you could use for that.  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gping/

Also, is anyone in the facility at that time (security folks, or a cleaning service)?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@MichaelWDL wrote:

Logs show that it's only the network card that's going offline and that during the disconnection the NAS continues to take snapshots. 

But I suspect you mean that the network is dropping, but the NAS continues to run normally.  If so, the first thing to figure out if something is disrupting the power along the path from NAS to the internet - loss of power on any switches on the path to the router, the router itself, and modem (if there is one).

If there is an always-on PC nearby, you could set it up to ping an internet service over-night and see if it also loses the connection at the same time. gping is a free tool you could use for that.  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gping/

Also, is anyone in the facility at that time (security folks, or a cleaning service)?

Message 2 of 5
MichaelWDL
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@MichaelWDL wrote:

But I suspect you mean that the network is dropping, but the NAS continues to run normally.

That is my -probably incorrect- guess based on seeing this (screenshot) in the logs every morning. 

I will use GPing on a nearby PC to see if we're losing our connection and return the results. Thank you.

Message 3 of 5
MichaelWDL
Aspirant

I'm pleased to report that your idea that there must be an interruption somewhere along the path to the internet was the issue. This thing passed through three different switches, each older and harder to get to than the last. And of course the last switch was in an area that powers down at night. Hooked it up to a UPS and we're good. Thank you very much.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Thanks for following up; I'm glad you were able to resolve it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements