× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN626X. Removing files from a share and the next day they're back in that share.

MichaelWDL
Aspirant

RN626X. Removing files from a share and the next day they're back in that share.

I have a remote worker who pulls files from a folder in a share on our NAS. He works on them and returns the modified files back to us in a separate folder on the same share. However, he reported to me that about a day after removing these files, he'd find that they've all returned, making it difficult for him to tell the difference between files he's already removed and new files he's yet to take.

How can I stop this behavior, honestly, not just in his folder, but across the whole NAS? I'm running firmware 6.10.3. Thank you.

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN626X. Removing files from a share and the next day they're back in that share.

If the Backblaze backup is a bi-directional sync rather than just a backup, then that could certainly be what's resurrecting the deleted files.  I'm not familiar with the Blackblaze interface to suggest how you can fix it, though.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN626X. Removing files from a share and the next day they're back in that share.

@MichaelWDL wrote:

I have a remote worker who pulls files from a folder in a share on our NAS. He works on them and returns the modified files back to us in a separate folder on the same share. However, he reported to me that about a day after removing these files, he'd find that they've all returned, making it difficult for him to tell the difference between files he's already removed and new files he's yet to take.

How can I stop this behavior, honestly, not just in his folder, but across the whole NAS? I'm running firmware 6.10.3. Thank you.

What tools is he using? I'm guessing one of the cloud sync options, but it'd be useful to know which one (and how it is set up).

Message 2 of 9
MichaelWDL
Aspirant

We have him set up with a remote access VPN. Sonicwall I believe. How it's setup, I'm not sure. Our tech support company handles that.

Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

It matters more how he and the person/process placing the files there for him are accessing and deleting the files, not the transport mechanism.

I don't know how the NAS could do that.  It sounds more like there is a bi-directional sync process that is putting them back.

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@MichaelWDL wrote:

We have him set up with a remote access VPN. Sonicwall I believe. How it's setup, I'm not sure. Our tech support company handles that.

That's helpful.  Sync software often does bring back deleted files, but it sounds like he's not using that.

You might check with him to see if he's set the PC to "make the folder available off-line".  That could potentially create a similar scenario to the sync software - deletions made when he isn't connected to the VPN might not propagate back to the server.

Message 5 of 9
MichaelWDL
Aspirant

He says he leaves the vpn connected for the entire time his PC is on. He's unaware whether his PC is set to make folder available offline. So unless it's default, I imagine that isn't active. Could our issue be related to the fact that we have a cloud backup to Backblaze through the Amazon S3 api?

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

If the Backblaze backup is a bi-directional sync rather than just a backup, then that could certainly be what's resurrecting the deleted files.  I'm not familiar with the Blackblaze interface to suggest how you can fix it, though.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

It does sound like a bi-directional sync issue.

In general, you really don't want to use bi-directional sync for backup. If something corrupts the backup store somehow, then bi-directional sync immediates corrupts your primary storage.

Message 8 of 9
MichaelWDL
Aspirant

Thank you both for pointing this out. I found the option in ReadyOS under Cloud > Amazon S3 > Settings >  Sync Direction.

It defaults to Bi-Directional. I changed it to "Upload local storage changes only" and that resolved the issue. Thank you very much.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements