× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN628 stuck at "Welcome" display during boot

bartholomule
Aspirant

RN628 stuck at "Welcome" display during boot

After the latest firmware update (6.10.8?), my RN628 is stuck at the "welcome" on the display.  The boot menu is inaccessible with the reset button (nothing happens).  The USB recover option is inaccaccessable with the "OK" button on the front (also nothing happens).

The website is horrible.  It says I still have 889 days of hardware support, but can't do anything.  Can't open a support case; can't purchase support; can't contact a human.  I once managed to get into the support request form and hit the submit button only to be met with a "somethingWentWrong'" (direct pasting).

What are the options for getting into recovery when everything else fails?

What are the options for actually getting support when the website actively fights every attempt at it?  I know I'm past the phone support period, but there has to be something (even if paid), otherwise the stated warranty is garbage and I'm done with netgear.

Message 1 of 2
bartholomule
Aspirant

Re: RN628 stuck at "Welcome" display during boot

I fought with this for a long time.  Had left it off for more than a day, tried rebooting with all the random combinations, multiple times (some people said it was intermittent), and with various combinations of drives plugged in (empty, only the first, etc).

Nothing there worked, so I decided to take it apart and check for anything bad.  A tiny bit of dust to blow out, and I reseated the memory.  Now it's booting as normal.  Haven't had to reseat memory in anything in the past couple decades.  Apparently the front display will show the welcome message even if no RAM is present at all -- no beeping codes, no flashing signals, nothing.  Not sure if it was the reseat of the RAM, or powering it on with none present and then putting the RAM back in that actually made the difference.  If anyone else has a similar problem and no warranty support (ugh), it could be something to try.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements