× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN628X00 - is XRAID the only option?

givememynamebak
Luminary

RN628X00 - is XRAID the only option?

Hey guys, just a few quick questions I wanted to try to get answer before I purchase a RN628:

1.) I am thinking of going with the 8 bay RN628X00... if I want one array with all 8 disks, is XRAID/Raid 6 my only option or will RAID5 also be an option for me to choose?

2.) Any forseeable hardware updates to the ReadyNAS product line for streaming/transcoding 4KUHD yet?  The RN628X doesn't seem to offer much future proof into the realm of 4KUHD.

3.) I'd like to get the fastest, most powerful and offer a little future proof - desktop readynas possible.  Is the RN628 the latest and greatest? 16GB Ram possible, CPU Upgrades possible?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN628X00 - is XRAID the only option?

@givememynamebak wrote:

1.) I am thinking of going with the 8 bay RN628X00... if I want one array with all 8 disks, is XRAID/Raid 6 my only option or will RAID5 also be an option for me to choose?

You can choose FlexRAID, which gives you control over the RAID configuration.  So you can use RAID5 if you like.

If you want to maximize speed, you can also use 6 mechanical disks with 2 SSDs (RAID-1) used for tiering/caching - that's using the ReadyTier feature.  

@givememynamebak wrote:

2.) Any forseeable hardware updates to the ReadyNAS product line for streaming/transcoding 4KUHD yet?  The RN628X doesn't seem to offer much future proof into the realm of 4KUHD.

Netgear hasn't anounced anything, though they generally don't pre-announce their products.

Personally I think the best approach for future-proofing is separating the application server (which would do the transcoding) from the storage server (e.g., the ReadyNAS).  Though opinions differ on that.

@givememynamebak wrote:

3.) I'd like to get the fastest, most powerful and offer a little future proof - desktop readynas possible.  Is the RN628 the latest and greatest? 16GB Ram possible, CPU Upgrades possible?

The RN628 is the top of the desktop line at present.

It ships with 8 GB of ram, but can be upgraded to 64 GB.  Both memory upgrades and CPU upgrades void the warranty.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN628X00 - is XRAID the only option?

@givememynamebak wrote:

You can choose FlexRAID, which gives you control over the RAID configuration.  So you can use RAID5 if you like.

If you want to maximize speed, you can also use 6 mechanical disks with 2 SSDs (RAID-1) used for tiering/caching - that's using the ReadyTier feature.  

@givememynamebak wrote:

Netgear hasn't anounced anything, though they generally don't pre-announce their products.

Personally I think the best approach for future-proofing is separating the application server (which would do the transcoding) from the storage server (e.g., the ReadyNAS).  Though opinions differ on that.

@givememynamebak wrote:

The RN628 is the top of the desktop line at present.

It ships with 8 GB of ram, but can be upgraded to 64 GB.  Both memory upgrades and CPU upgrades void the warranty.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements