× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RND P6610

tony359
Apprentice

RND P6610

Hello all,

I'm new here, I've just got from a friend an old ReadyNAS. The bottom label says "ReadyNas Pro RNC P6610". On the website it says the model has been replaced by the P6610-200 and I cannot find any support but for the P6610-200.

I was wondering if the models are equivalent and the same software can be used on both machines? Also, what would be the biggest drives I can install on that unit?

Thanks for your help

Tony
Message 1 of 16
chirpa
Luminary

Compatibility will be the same, look at the ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition listings.
Message 2 of 16
tony359
Apprentice

Wow, lightspeed, thanks!

Are you saying that I can install anything (HW and SW) that is listed for the ReadyNAS Pro 6 model?

Cheers for your help!
Message 3 of 16
chirpa
Luminary

The Pro 6 is basically the same system, but more powerful CPU (E2160 versus E5300).

In this thread, people have putting even higher spec CPUs in the systems also: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29284
Message 4 of 16
tony359
Apprentice

Wow, even better news. So the machines are the same, same controllers and I can install the same software. Newer models have just more powerful CPU which - if I wanted - could be upgraded with a better one.

Looks like a beautiful NAS, thanks Chirps for giving me some directions!
Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well the newer models may have a newer motherboard. If your Pro has an older motherboard rev you may be more limited in what CPU you can use.
Message 6 of 16
tony359
Apprentice

Thanks,

I have read the whole thread chirpa suggested, it's cool!
I will investigate and find out what MB my NAS has and I guess I'll go for a little upgrade!

Is the RAID on these beauties Software or Hardware? I'm assuming Software since it seems there are no HW limitations on older units - I mean the size of HDD that can be installed.

The P6610 is still advertised as a 6TB unit, and I understand now it can reach 24TB with 4TB drives?
Message 7 of 16
vandermerwe
Master

It software raid on all the newer units with faster processors.
The older sparc based readynas units use hardware raid and are limited to 2tb drives.
The pro can accommodate six 4 tb drives.
Message 8 of 16
tony359
Apprentice

Thanks

The more I read this forum the more excited I get to get started! 🙂
Message 9 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Actually the Sparc units use software RAID but it is hardware accelerated.

Newer models such as the Pro don't need hardware acceleration.
Message 10 of 16
vandermerwe
Master

Ah, ok I've learnt something:

"The ReadyNAS uses the software RAID and LVM *data formats* primarily to retain compatibility with standard linux tools. This is handy for recovery operations.

It accelerates the process by using the hardware XOR module built into the processor to compute and move large amounts of parity data at once instead of using general purpose CPU loops. So, I consider it "hardware accelerated RAID", since the XOR data handling process is typically the part of software RAID that bogs everything down. ", from a post in 2006 by bhoar
Message 11 of 16
fastfwd
Virtuoso

When bhoar references a "hardware XOR module", is he just talking about the SSE XOR instructions that have been in every Pentium since 1999?
Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

This was a 2006 post, so it was about the original NV v1 architecture -sparc based, not pentium, and which in fact use hardware raid.
Message 13 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hardware accelerated RAID actually and it is clear from earlier posts that discussion had broadened to talk about Sparc as well.
Message 14 of 16
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Ah, thanks. I guess I should have searched for that thread and read it myself.
Message 15 of 16
tony359
Apprentice

Even more interesting. What chip do they use?
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements