× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND2000v2 no power, want to move disk to new chassis

jchimpo
Aspirant

RND2000v2 no power, want to move disk to new chassis

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo V2 that is no longert powering up. I have tested the power brick and it is putting out the correct voltage so I'm assuming there is some other issue. I have never messed around with the configurations when I first built my drives so I am guessing that they are xRaid2 per the information I have read in these forums. I am wondering what is a new compatible chassis that I can move my two existing drives to and retain all my data?

Model: RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only, RND2000v2 (ReadyNAS Duo v2)|READYNAS DUO v2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND2000v2 no power, want to move disk to new chassis

It's important to confirm the chassis as a v2 - many v1 owners mistakenly think they have a v2.

• A v2 says "Duo v2" on the front of the chassis and runs 5.3.x firmware.  
  • A v1 says "Duo" on the front of the chassis and runs 4.1.x firmware.  It might possibly have a label on the back that has a v2 in it.

A Duo v2 can be migrated to another Duo v2 or an NV+ v2.  Similarly a Duo v1 can be migrated to another Duo v1 or an NV+ v1.

But given the age of the NAS you likely are better off purchasing a new NAS (for instance an RN212 or an RN422).  You can offload your data by connecting disk 1 of your current NAS to a Windows PC (using a USB adapter or SATA), and using R-linux for Windows.  https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/

Paid Netgear Support can temporarily mount your disks in a new ReadyNAS - though they will charge.  That would also let you back up the data.  Note this is temporary - the set up process in the new NAS will reformat the drives, so you will lose whatever is on them.

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you test the power brick under load?  Testing an unloaded power supply is not a definative test of functionality.

Message 3 of 6
jchimpo
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. To the previous message, it is definitely a Duo V2 (says it on the front of the chassis). Can you provide a way to test it under load? I had it plugged into my surge protector and tested it with a multimeter on the positive pin at the end of the cable of the power brick. How can I test the power brick if it is connected to the chassis?

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@jchimpo wrote:

How can I test the power brick if it is connected to the chassis?

I don't have a good answer to that.  But another approach is to do a risk buy of a replacement brick.  You can find them in the US for ~$25.

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

It's a  very common connector, and you could use an extension with a part of the wires exposed.  There are connectors intended for use with CCTV that have screw-terminals readily available on eBay (search for 12V CCTV connector) that would work well.  Or, you can have the NAS open and check where the voltage enters the unit.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements