× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND4000 V1 Mac No Front View For Shares & Admin Use

JasonJMan
Aspirant

RND4000 V1 Mac No Front View For Shares & Admin Use

Hi there,

So I have a RND4000 V1 which has worked for a while now with no problems. I have now got the unit back up and running on my Mac after being in rented accomodation etc with no internet bla bla bla whilst my house was being built. All is good with the above unit for access etc until I wanted to access Front View to remove an old share etc. When I open RAIDar it sees my unit, all drives are good and yet when I click the admin page part as I have done many times before it loads the screen with nothing visible in the way of shares, admin stuff for powerdown etc etc.

I am on a Mac, use Safari, have tried this in Chrome too with no success and I am out of my depth knowledge wise what to do. I have a large amount of data on the drive which clearly I do not want to lose transferring that data to another drive would mean buying another very large drive to do so and robably have to wait days for the transfer to happen too 😞 😞

Any ideas out there to help me out??

Many thanks in advance

Jason

PS I am a newbie so please be gentle with me 😄 

Model: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ v1)|READYNAS NV+ v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RND4000 V1 Mac No Front View For Shares & Admin Use

Do you see anything from the NAS?  If not, check what IP address the NAS shows in RAIDar and insure it's in the same subnet (same first theee numbers) as your computer.  Changing homes (and often routers with it) can cause issues if you assigned the NAS a fixed address.

How old is the OS version on the NAS?  If you see just the border of Frontview, and not much more, there was an issue with updated browsers a long time ago, but that's long since fixed in OS updates.

Message 2 of 7
JasonJMan
Aspirant

Hi there,

I can see everything on my NAS using a log in however what i am unable to do is any form of admin work - remove shares, add shares etc etc.

RAIDar sees the NAS and confirms an IP address - this I can use to connect to via my Mac.

If I try to access the admin part of Frontview I can see the actual webpage, surrounding yellow lines and picture of a NAS drive yet no words down the left hand side of this box where the Power, Shutdown, Shares etc tabs would be.

Hope that makes sense?

I have attached a screenshot showing what I mean... Sorry for the delay been in work and just got home.

Thanks for your reply too 🙂

Here's hoping you know what to do 🙂

J

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Yeah, I thought that might be what you are seing, because I once saw it, too.  My issue was a corrupt configuration file, but I believe a full OS partition can also cause it.  The problem with that issue is that if you don't already have SSH enabled, then you're in a Catch 22, since you can't enable SSH without access to Frontview.  I was lucky enough to have SSH already enabled and one of the old "Jedi" helped me figure out the cause.  I frankly don't remember which file it was that was bad, except it was something.conf.

If you are adept at the Linux console, maybe somebody other than me can lead you to where to look via the remote support portal.  that boots off the flash, not the drives, and likely still works.  It's just been too long since I ran an OS 4.x system for me to give more specific help.  Well, that and the fact that I was much more a noob at that point and was following instructions more than knowing what I was doing in SSH.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Since you still do have access to the files, the first step is to back them up.  The fastest way is to copy them off to a USB connected to a PC (using ethernet to connect the PC to the network).  Perhaps use a utility like FreeFileSync (setting it up to verify the backup).

Once you have the data, the direct way to resolve the problem is to do a factory default (which re-formats the disks and does a fresh factory install).  Then reconfigure the NAS and restore the data from the backup.

Longer term, you should consider getting a current ReadyNAS.  Apple has deprecated SMB 1 in Catalina, and that is the only version of SMB that your NAS supports.  The RN210 series is the current entry-level NAS, and is faster and has more features than the NV+.  The RN420 series is another possibility.  You could then re-purpose the NV+ as a backup NAS (using the built in rsync backup jobs to automatically back up the new NAS).

Message 5 of 7
JasonJMan
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Thanks for your reply too....

Having bought a new house recently funds are a no go for a new ReadyNas just yet 😞

I am currently running High Sierra on the Mac that I use for the connection to my ReadyNAS hence why I am stuck as to why SMB will not connect ( I did read that newer Mac OS would not work which is why I kept to the slighlty older OS)..

I could back up my data yes however was hoping for a fix for a temp measure as the data I have on this drive is huge

Any ideas as to whether a quick fix is possible before I look at a back up and install?

Thanks again

J

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@JasonJMan wrote:

Any ideas as to whether a quick fix is possible before I look at a back up and install?

I think the data is at risk, so I recommend doing a backup without delay. Then look at ways to fix the NAS.

Per-incident paid support is one option (my.netgear.com).  That should cost ~ $75USD.  If you go that route, don't purchase the gearhead contract, that doesn't cover the ReadyNAS.

If you are skilled with the Linux command line, you could log in via tech support mode and attempt to fix it yourself.  But now is not a good time to learn Linux, and troubleshooting the web server in the NAS isn't very easy even if you are skilled.  Note @Sandshark needed help from Netgear, and he does have Linux skills.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements