× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND4000 v3 not powering on - what should I buy to replace it so my harddrive data can be recovered

bmcdonald666
Aspirant

RND4000 v3 not powering on - what should I buy to replace it so my harddrive data can be recovered

My ReadyNAS RND4000v3 no longer powers up. I asssume my four 2Tb Hard Drives are still good and I want to recover the data on there.

Is there another model (current) that will simply allow me to slot my four drives in to and the data will not be effected?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND4000 v3 not powering on - what should I buy to replace it so my harddrive data can be recover

@bmcdonald666 wrote:

If I insert my 4 s 2TB Hard-drives in to it in the same order as my RND4000 will my data be accessible?

Yes, you can directly migrate the drives.

First install a spare disk into the replacement NAS.  Any SATA drive <= 2 TB will work for this.  After the factory install completes, update the firmware in the replacement to match your existing NAS.  If you don't know the firmware you are running, then install the latest (4.1.16).

Then try booting the replacement with the disk installed in each bay - just to make sure that all the bays are functional.

After that, power down and migrate the drives.  All the settings are preserved (the operating system and configuration files on the drives), and your data will be available (unless something was corrupted when your current NAS failed).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND4000 v3 not powering on - what should I buy to replace it so my harddrive data can be recover

@bmcdonald666 wrote:

Is there another model (current) that will simply allow me to slot my four drives in to and the data will not be effected?

No.  Newer NAS use different processors and a different file system.

If you have no backup, then paid support can temporarily mount your disks in a new NAS so you can copy off the data - I don't know what they charge for that.

Another option is to replace the power supply in the current NAS (assuming that's the problem).  If you use an off-the-shelf supply, there is a change to the connector pinout you'd need to make.  Though you usually can find a pre-modified supply (for a premium price). 

A similar strategy is to buy a used NV+ (and ether move it's PSU or migrate your disks to it).  A used NAS would be at least 8 years old, since Netgear discontinued your model in 2011.

If you can get your disks connected to PC (either with USB adaptor/docks or directly with SATA), then you can extract data that way.  For instance, with Windows or a Mac you can use R-Studio software (https://www.r-studio.com/)

Message 2 of 6
bmcdonald666
Aspirant

Is the NAS Model RND4210 compatible? Can I put my hard drives in from my RND4000 which won't power up?
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@bmcdonald666 wrote:
Is the NAS Model RND4210 compatible? 

Generally the NV+ models had part numbers that were formatted as RND4XY0.  Y=1 meant that one drive was included.  X=2 meant that drive was 2 TB in size.  X=0, Y=0 meant the system was shipped diskless.

So an RND4210 is just a regular NV+ that shipped with a 2 TB Netgear-supplied disk.

However, there is another aspect to check out.  Netgear replaced the NV+ with the NV+ v2 in 2011 - but they continued to use the same RND4000 part number (with a -200 at the end).  So it is very easy to confuse the v2 (arm-based NAS) with the original v1 (sparc-based NAS).  And they are not compatible - so you need to be careful to confirm that you are getting the sparc-based model.

The original v1

• says ReadyNAS NV+ (or ReadyNAS NV) on the front of the chassis
  • has a silver and black chassis
  • Usually has trays with circular buttons (but might have trays with a rectangular button)
  • runs 4.1.x firmware 
  • may have labels on the back that include v2 or v3

The v2

• says ReadyNAS NV+ v2 on the front of the chassis
  • has a black chassis
  • has trays with rectangular buttons.
  • runs 5.3.x firmware

@bmcdonald666 wrote:
 Can I put my hard drives in from my RND4000 which won't power up?

You can directly migrate your drives to any v1 NAS that has enough bays. So if the RND4210 is a v1, you can migrate to it.

You do want to make sure that the replacement NAS is running the same firmware as the old one.  So do a factory install with a spare disk (not in the array), and either install matching firmware or the final 4.1.16 firmware.  That disk will be formatted of course.

I also suggest testing that all 4 bays work.  You can do this by powering down, moving the disk to bay 2 (or 3, 4), and then power up - since the system will boot from any bay.  

Once you've matched the firmware, and have confirmed that the replacement NAS is functional, then power down, and migrate your disks - preserving the slot order.

Message 4 of 6
bmcdonald666
Aspirant

Hello

Ok so the RND4210 is the same model. If I insert my 4 s 2TB Hard-drives in to it in the same order as my RND4000 will my data be accessible? I am hoping it will just recognise everything as it was before my RND4000 decidied it no longer wants to power-up. I do not want to loose my data.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@bmcdonald666 wrote:

If I insert my 4 s 2TB Hard-drives in to it in the same order as my RND4000 will my data be accessible?

Yes, you can directly migrate the drives.

First install a spare disk into the replacement NAS.  Any SATA drive <= 2 TB will work for this.  After the factory install completes, update the firmware in the replacement to match your existing NAS.  If you don't know the firmware you are running, then install the latest (4.1.16).

Then try booting the replacement with the disk installed in each bay - just to make sure that all the bays are functional.

After that, power down and migrate the drives.  All the settings are preserved (the operating system and configuration files on the drives), and your data will be available (unless something was corrupted when your current NAS failed).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements