× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND4000 with no power.

mclancer
Aspirant

RND4000 with no power.

Hello

I could use some help please.

We were having a number of power outages. After realizing my ReadyNAS was not connected to my Cyberpower battery/surge protection box,

I then made sure it was. After the next power failure, even though it was protected and shut down properly, my ReadyNAS box would not power up.

The display is now blank, the fan is still, and no life is coming from the box. After checking that power was reaching the box, (and with some online

research and I'm an Electronic Technician) I determind that I need a new powersupply.

My box's status:  

Product Warranty Information

Product: ReadyNASRND4000 

Serial Number: 23J3087A00ACA
Country of Purchase: Canada
Purchased on: 28/Dec/2010
Registered on: 07/Jan/2011
Standard Product Warranty * :
- Hardware Warranty: .......Expired on 27/Dec/2013
- Phone Support: ..............Expired on 28/Mar/2011
- Chat Support: .................Expired on 28/Mar/2011
- Email Support: ................Expired on 28/Mar/2011
- Power Supply Warranty: .Expired on 27/Dec/2013
- Accessories Warranty: ....Expired on 27/Dec/2013

I had no extended warranty.

Also on the label ........ReadyNAS NV+

RND4000 v3

I tried myNetgear, but to get further, If I had a warranty, I could call them. With no warranty, they offer no help. I could not find a parts department and 

I could not find any help for me on Netgear's site. I am disabled with a very limited income and all I need is to buy a power supply.

So, my questions are:

1 - Where can I order a new power supply, online or in Canada?

2 - If this is not posssible (after going through many other community questions, I'm thinking this is true.) then how do I get to my data that is on 

Xraid 4 x 2GB HDs with either a spare computer or if I have to "bite the bullet" and buy a new ReadyNAS box?

Any help would really be appreciated eh.

Thanks, Steve.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND4000 with no power.

Message 8 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

To answer the second question first, you can look here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306

The NV+ uses a standard ATX supply with a modified pinout (which you find here: http://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf).

Message 2 of 15
blind1
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat - eg no power to NAS

From previous posts people have said they have conatcted support and got a new PSU.   Where have they gone on the website as I seem to go round in circles with no ability to raise a ticket or send an email.

Message 3 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello blind1,

I believe NETGEAR already ran out of stock of this power supply since this model number joined EOL devices many years ago.

RND4PSU1-10000S is the part number of the power supply, you might want to try your luck on eBay, there are others out there who sell this.

Regards,

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

You can find them on Amazon also, but they are quite expensive - 3x the cost of an ordinary ATX supply.

An ordinary ATX supply likely won't fit into the case, but you could connect it externally (making the needed pinout change on an extender cable).  That isn't a good long-term solution, but would let you get your data off the NAS.

Message 5 of 15
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mclancer & blind1,

You can go with option #2 in getting a new ReadyNAS and contact support for the migration process. For more information, check this article.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Your NV+ V1 uses a Mini-ITX, aka Flex ATX, form factor power supply; and you do not need, nor is there room for, an extension cable.  It does have a different pin-out, even though it has a standard looking ATX connector, so be warned.  Search the forum for "legacy power supply" for a more complete message from me and use the pin-out from the reply (original link is no longer valid).  A standard ATX supply with a rewired extender as an adapter is an option for either recovering files before replacing the NV+ or verifying that the new supply is all you need.

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Message 8 of 15
MrBadger
Aspirant

I just ordered a replacement here: http://www.evercase.co.uk/PowerSupplyUnits.htm#ReadyNASPSU

I'm rather disappointed in that NetGear has been spectactularily unhelpful in finding a replacement PSU. That and I'm astounded that there is no ready migration path to newer units with my existing disks. What WERE they thinking??? I was all ready to just go by a new unit and slap my disks in. But nooooo.... ???

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@MrBadger wrote:

That and I'm astounded that there is no ready migration path to newer units with my existing disks. What WERE they thinking??? 

I do understand that that the inability to do this migration does create some pain (and of course it is just as easy to switch to a competitor than it is to stay with Netgear).

That said, I think there are a lot of technical barriers in doing this particular migration. 

For one thing, they needed 4 GB of OS partition space in the OS 6 NAS; the 2 GB of partition space on your system wasn't enough. Converting the hardware RAID-4 used in the NV+ to the software RAID-5 in newer systems is another barrier.  The benefits of BTRFS are key features in OS 6, and that they couldn't easily convert to it from ext either.  

It would be good if they had a linux LiveCD that could be used to automatically mount the data partitions on a PC.

@MrBadger wrote:

I'm rather disappointed in that NetGear has been spectactularily unhelpful in finding a replacement PSU. 

And stuff like replacement disk trays, mounting screws, power-bricks on v1 duos, etc.  The NV+ is old of course (2007 design replaced in 2011), and they almost certainly are running out of spares.  But they could provide more resources in listing 3rd party parts that can potentially be substituted (perhaps with some adaptation) for the original Netgear ones.

Message 10 of 15
mclancer
Aspirant

Hello everyone.

First off I would like to say I'm sorry for taking so long to provide feedback.

2nd, a really big THANK YOU to StephenB for this ATX powersupply conversion diagram link.

I bought an adapter, (ATX PSU to Motherboard extention cable). This way I could use the powersupply

in a computer again, I modified the adapter as per the diagram, and my NAS BOX IS ALIVE AGAIN!

Works great.

Thank you again StephenB

Message 11 of 15
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mclancer,

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 12 of 15
MrBadger
Aspirant

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm an embedded FW engineer myself so I know all about technical challenges and the reasons to not deal with them. I'll bet money if you talked to the engineers you'd find this was a bean-counter decision and that the engineers screamed bloody murder. The people who should have really screamed is the marketing types. This is very bad for brand name loyalty. I probably will indeed look at alternatives because it seems that NetGear isn't really looking out for my interests. But maybe I shouldn't say that until AFTER I have my machine back up and (hopefully) recovered my data.

Message 13 of 15
mclancer
Aspirant

Hello FramerV 

If you look at my post about an hour before yours (2016-11-20 05:09 PM),

you will see I have already done what you are asking me to do.

Thank you for the reminder anyway.

I have another major problem (not related to this issue I believe)

but I will start a new thread to ask for help.

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@mclancer wrote:

you will see I have already done what you are asking me to do.

Netgear is trying to track outcome statistics, that is why FramerV is asking you to "accept as solution" if the problem is resolved.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements