× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDP600E Died - Can I buy a new model and drop in drives?

jackleman
Aspirant

RNDP600E Died - Can I buy a new model and drop in drives?

OK - So I upgraded my RNDP600E to the latest firmware - been working great!

Until it died.  Probably powersupply, but could be mobo and I don't want to bother troubleshooting to replace parts.

Can I buy a newer gen (maybe rackmount) and just drop in my drives to get everything back?

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

When i say latest firmware, i mean the latest generation firmware - followed the "unsupported" method of putting the new gen firmware on old gen hardware.  

Message 2 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@jackleman wrote:

When i say latest firmware, i mean the latest generation firmware - followed the "unsupported" method of putting the new gen firmware on old gen hardware.  

Generally it's best just to give actual version.

That would be 4.2.31, correct?

@jackleman wrote:

Can I buy a newer gen (maybe rackmount) and just drop in my drives to get everything back?

Assuming that the array is healthy, you can mount it in a new OS6 x86 NAS.  That mount is temporary (read-only) so you will need backup storage so you can copy your data off.

https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

Message 3 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think the mention of unsupported firmware means that OS6 was put on the Pro Pioneer. In which case it should be a simple matter of powering down both systems and moving the disks across to the new unit (keeping the order the same) and powering on again like it would be if the dead unit was one that shipped with OS6.

That's assuming the problem is purely a hardware issue with the chassis. If there's a problem with/on the disks then more may be involved.

If you like you could put a scratch disk (must not be from your array) in the new NAS and update the firmware on the new unit to the latest, verify the update was successful, power down and remove the scratch disk before moving your disks across.

Suitable replacement models include the RN426, RN428, RN526X, RN528X, RN626X and RN628X.

Message 4 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

@mdgm wrote:

I think the mention of unsupported firmware means that OS6 was put on the Pro Pioneer. In which case it should be a simple matter of powering down both systems and moving the disks across to the new unit (keeping the order the same) and powering on again like it would be if the dead unit was one that shipped with OS6.

That's assuming the problem is purely a hardware issue with the chassis. If there's a problem with/on the disks then more may be involved.

If you like you could put a scratch disk (must not be from your array) in the new NAS and update the firmware on the new unit to the latest, verify the update was successful, power down and remove the scratch disk before moving your disks across.

Suitable replacement models include the RN426, RN428, RN526X, RN528X, RN626X and RN628X.

Yes, thanks you are correct, OS6.  Its definitely purely hardware, and most likely just the power supply.  Completely dead on power, no activity.

Any suitable replacements in rackmount format?  

Message 5 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, any x86 model.

In rackmount there is the RR2312, RR3312, RR4312 and the RR4360. If you are only using 4 (or less) drive bays in your Pro then there is the RR2304 and RN3138 as well.

With a 12-bay it's recommended to stick to enterprise disks as consumer disks would likely fail fast not being designed for the vibrations of such a large array of disks.

The 60-bay is probably not what you're after.

Rackmount units can be very noisy which isn't much of a problem when they're placed in a server room.

Message 6 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

OH I see, shame, was hoping for home-grade rack - more homes these days have racks! who wants all this square bulky equipment lying around when it can be all clean in a nice enviro-controlled cabinet right?

OK, well thank you much for the concise answer! Already purchased my replacement unit.

Message 7 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

@mdgm wrote:

Sadly this didn't work.  I had to guess a little bit though on the ORDER because netgear fails to clearly define this anywhere obvious or otherwise that I can find.

On my new RN426 I guess from top down is 1-6 bay while on the PRO PIONEER I was remembering that it is from top left 1-2-3 and from bottom left 4-5-6

If my assumptions on order is correct, why does the new RN426 complain about Dirty Disks?

"The disks installed in this readynas system are formatted in a file system that the system does not recognize."

I did as suggested and put in a new unrelated disk to RN426 first to update the firmware, and i'm pretty sure my old PIONEER was at the latest at the time it died (early december), but if not it'd only be one minor version off.

What can I do now?

Message 8 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well then, the problem is more than simply hardware failure with the old chassis then.

Message 9 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

Would be surprising. When a computer fails to respond at all after power-on event, its almost always power supply. Even if its motherboard, you'd get power supply response from power-on event.  Would be hard to believe a UPS surge protected computer fried mobo, power supply and all hard drives at the same time.

Message 10 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are multiple possibilities and it's probably not something that extreme. One possibility is that the disks are out of sync with each other.

Message 11 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

Sequence of events:

#1  Many months ago I had noticed the readynas had trouble powering on (no fans nada) but suddenly started up

#2  December 10th, my area lost power for 3 days, readynas sent me a message stating UPS was low on battery and shutting down - drives were healthy and sync'd and fine at time of shutdown

#3  December 13th, would not power on at all.

I also noticed while going through the email notices that version 6.9.1 had become available Nov 30th and I saw no emails about update completing after that - so I'm guessing I was one behind. I also see in that update there were some changes that just might affect how the array was being read.

So I'm downgrading the new system to 6.9.0 and testing now.

Message 12 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

bollox 6.9.0 didn't help

i wonder if i replace the first drive with the one i used to set things up if it could end up triggering a recovery hmmm

Message 13 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

would be nice if netgear saw fit to put up a release notes / change log for all versions instead of all these one-shot posts - sure makes it hard to review a history of them.

Message 14 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you get my PM?

Should be able to do a basic diagnosis to get an idea what the problem is (with only the disks from your array in the NAS of course).

Message 15 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

Yes, thanks, sent you the code!  OS is currently at 6.8.1 as thats the last OS i tried to see if it would read the array.

Message 16 of 24
Sandshark
Sensei

That history does sound like it's a power supply problem.  That probably didn't "fry" the drives, but it could have corrupted them.  If you get nowhere with the drives in the new NAS, a replacement power supply in the old one may work.  If you have a spare ATX supply, or can borrow one from a PC, that can be used externally to ppower the NAS long enough to recover the data (if the volume is intact, or close enough to it) or just to see a power supply will fix the problem before you invest in a replacement SFX supply.

Message 17 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

I had just noticed while trying to power on the old nas, the ethernet lights flicker very lightly - which is a bad sign, because power supply fan is off and appears powered down completely.  I think i have another power supply lying around somewhere I can use to try what you suggest, but the behavior I just noticed is concerning.

Message 18 of 24
StephenB
Guru

If the unit is connected to the main power, you might well see that flickering - especially if you have wake-on-lan enabled.  Like most modern electronics, the NAS usually isn't completely off unless you disconnect the power.

Though the flickering doesn't mean that the PSU is ok, so I suggest following @Sandshark's advice.

Message 19 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

My suspicion is that the disks may be out of sync with each other. This should be very easy to verify without needing to make any changes to the disks. One can also check the SMART stats of the disks. From there one can get an idea as to how best to proceed.

If the disks are showing as dirty in the 426, even with a replacement PSU the Pro isn't going to boot fine normally. There's more to this case than simple hardware failure of the chassis.

Message 20 of 24
Sandshark
Sensei

The power-on circuit and ethernet are powered by the +5VSB (+5 volt standby) portion of the supply, which is always on.  From what I've seen posted here, it's the usual suspect when the supply goes.  And when it goes, you can no longer turn the unit on at all.  That does sound like your issue.

Message 21 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

Well I just bit the bullet and gave in to a reformat.  As it turns out all drives are physically healthy.  Its doubtful they had fallen so far out of sync they couldn't be recovered by a new readynas, so I will have to chalk this up to lack of trust in netgear ability to recover from such problems.  

I know once before, under warranty, they had to replace my chassis and swap of drives went fine, but that was on the old OS and from same model to same model.

I won't be able to trust switching models now, might just return this new readynas and look toward other brands, I think another might have rack mount home-business class which is more my desire anyway.

thanks to those who responded and tried to help!  guess readynas just wasn't up to the task.

Message 22 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@jackleman wrote:

Its doubtful they had fallen so far out of sync they couldn't be recovered by a new readynas

If they are out of sync at all, then there can be file system corruption and loss of data.  And they easily could have been out of sync, since pending writes in the NAS queue might not have all been written whenever the old NAS failed.

So ReadyNAS (and mdadm generally) takes a conservative approach on out-of-sync, in order to prevent data loss.  You could have forced the RAID assembly manually via SSH if you wanted to.

Message 23 of 24
jackleman
Aspirant

Well the thing is, the old nas had a graceful shutdown during a power outage before the power supply failed.  I have the email that proves it read the UPS battery level and initiated shutdown (as it always does during power outages - in costa rica power outages are frequent).  So there shouldn't have been any inconsistency at all, and readynas really should've handled the situation better than it did even if it was out of sync.  FORCE resync as an option instead of REFORMAT being the only option, i doubt a person would choose 100% data loss over unknown percentage data loss.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements