× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDP600U upgraded to OS6 stuck at ReadyNAS

Cynomus
Guide

RNDP600U upgraded to OS6 stuck at ReadyNAS

Bought a used ReadyNAS RNDP600U (Ultra 6 Plus) as a backup for a Pro Pioneer(RNDP6000) that is still running. Upgraded the RNDP600U to OS6, like the other older model. It ran a few days, I copied a few TB to it. Then after a reboot it got stuck at "ReadyNAS" on the Display, no amount of rebooting does anything.

Things I've tried:

1. Hooked up a monitor and keyboard, the BIOS posts perfectly

2. Replaced the power supply with a new one

3. Replaced DIMMs

4. Replaced CPU fan (only because I broke the original)
5. Made 2 custom OS6 USB boot disks on an 256MB and one on 8GB

6. Booting with and without drives

7. It never gets far enough for the NIC to initialize so No Radiator/Radr/SSH option is available. 

8. Booting holding the reset button in the back

9. Booting holding the backup button in the front with a recovery USB stick in the front.

It won't boot to either USB disk(maybe I made them incorrectly)

Based fact the BIOS loads and the moment it tries to start the OS the screen goes blank and it never boots, I suspect the OS load on the EPROM is failing. Anyone know how to reinstall the OS on the EPROM?

I don't care about the data I have triple backups, just want to revive the unit.

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Cynomus wrote:

I've done both, but that screen shot is the /admin url

Thx.

I agree with @Sandshark that this symptom looks like a corrupt VPD file.

Only Netgear can fix it, hopefully one of the mods will offer to help - @Marc_V or @JeraldM 

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 26

All Replies
jeremy-m
Aspirant

@Cynomus wrote:

Bought a used ReadyNAS RNDP600U (Ultra 6 Plus) as a backup for a Pro Pioneer(RNDP6000) that is still running. Upgraded the RNDP600U to OS6, like the other older model.

Did you check that you're installing the correct OS? Here's a link to the support page for your RNDP600U.

Message 2 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

Thank you for responding . The unit has been upgraded to v6 and it is recommended never to downgrade versions, so all the v4 files are useless for this system.

Message 3 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Cynomus wrote:

The unit has been upgraded to v6 and it is recommended never to downgrade versions, so all the v4 files are useless for this system.

Not quite.  That advice is limited to OS-6 downgrades - and even there Netgear says is it safe to downgrade minor releases (6.10.7 to 6.10.5 for example, but not 6.10.7 to 6.9.5). As far as converting from 6.x back to 4.x, Netgear offers no advice, as they don't support OS-6 conversion at all. 

It is possible to try converting back to OS-4 again, you'd need to put the 4.2.31 image on the USB recovery disk.

Then immediately do a factory reset (perhaps with a spare disk) - as was needed when you converted to OS 6.

@Cynomus wrote:

It won't boot to either USB disk(maybe I made them incorrectly)

You need to make the USB disk using the OS-4 instructions, but put the OS-6 image on the disk instead of 4.2.x. 

It's possible that your VPD is corrupted - though it has somewhat different symptoms.  If that's the case, then only Netgear can repair it.  Although OS-6 isn't supported on your NAS, the mods have often fixed VPDs in the past as a courtesy.

Message 4 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

There are the files I used, including 2 OS6 files, and I edited the xml to include them in the USB creator inventory

Cynomus_0-1656075933145.png

Here is the creator GUI showing the option I added (PRO)

Cynomus_1-1656076024072.png

Does this seem correct for creating a v6.0 recovery USB drive?

Message 5 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Cynomus wrote:

There are the files I used, including 2 OS6 files, and I edited the xml to include them in the USB creator inventory

Does this seem correct for creating a v6.0 recovery USB drive?

No.  Prep4tor6 shouldn't be there at all.  And you should be using the OS 4.2 recovery tool with an OS 6 image.  You shouldn't need to modify any XML.

https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool

Message 6 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

When I run usbrecovery.exe I get "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail." on 2 different laptops. I'm going to try on an older OS laptop, but I'm wondering if the file is corrupt on the source D/L server.

Message 7 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

Was able to make the recovery USB from an older laptop. When I try to boot (with USB inserted, holding down front panel backup button for 30 sec) it goes through the American Megatrends BIOS screen, then goes blank after checks. If I Ctrl-Alt-Del, it reboots and goes through the boot screens again. Checked BIOS is set to boot off USB.

Message 8 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Cynomus wrote:

Was able to make the recovery USB from an older laptop. When I try to boot (with USB inserted, holding down front panel backup button for 30 sec) it goes through the American Megatrends BIOS screen, then goes blank after checks. If I Ctrl-Alt-Del, it reboots and goes through the boot screens again. Checked BIOS is set to boot off USB.

Anything on the LCD screen?

Have you tried a different USB stick?

Message 9 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

I've tried 2 USB sticks, a 256MB and a 32GB, different manufacturers. I bought a 3rd 16GB tonight that I intend to try. The LCD screen is just stuck at ReadyNAS, never changes. The VGA shows BIOS posting then goes blank when it tries to move to a boot loader. I've tried booting with each the Rear Reset and front Backup buttons pressed down for 30 seconds + (not together, separate boot attempts, multiple each way).

Message 10 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Does the system boot up in tech support mode?

Message 11 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

No, the AMI bios loads, then the vga screen goes blank.

On the LCD display, it turns on with the word "ReadyNAS" and that never changes. holding the recessed reset button has zero affect.

Message 12 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Cynomus wrote:

On the LCD display, it turns on with the word "ReadyNAS" and that never changes. holding the recessed reset button has zero affect.

Normally that is a symptom of a failed PSU (only delivering 5 volts).

Though I don't know if that is consistent with the bios loading - perhaps @Sandshark has a thought there.

Message 13 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

I have replaced the PSU with a used one and a new, and I have metered the voltage on every connector. It behaves like it can't find a boot loader device, my guess is eprom, but I don't know enough about these units to make that leap

Message 14 of 26
Sandshark
Sensei

ReadyNAS is the default display programmed into the display panel, so it only takes 5V for it to appear.  That's why there are so many things that can cause this.  But you've eliminated a lot of them.  This does sound like a boot loader issue, which a USB recovery should fix unless the flash memory is damaged.  The legacy units are quite picky about the USB drives they support.  I've found the super-cheap 8GB or smaller ones on eBay or Amazon work pretty well.  Get one with an access LED so you can see how long it's being accessed.

I'm also not convinced you are creating a valid USB boot drive.  As @StephenB said, you should not have to jump through hoops like that to create it.

Message 15 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

Making progress, I used that 3rd USB I bought a couple nights ago a Walmart onn 8G and created the recovery usb on that. Booted up holding the front panel "backup" button down. Did the normal boot through the BIOS screens then the VGA went blank while the LCD simply said it's usual "ReadyNAS". I was getting reay to walk away and it powered down. That was new, usually the CPU fan just runs for hours til I pull the plug.

I powered it back on and if registered an error on the LCD about not reading the drives/volume correctly. Well probably not because I pulled a couple to test another NAS I have. So I powered off and held the rear reset button during the next boot and it came up to the "Boot Menu"

I scrolled through the options using the front panel "backup" button and selected "Install OS", after a couple minutes it powered down again.

Next boot same error. But RAIDar could see it, not set it up, due to corruption, but see it.

Went through the steps to get back to the Boot Menu and selected "Factory Default". If scanned the disks successfully and awaited RAIDar. 

Went into RAIDar and selected Setup. The Model is gibberish in RAIDar but on the LCD it reads Installing FW, Create C:
After a little time to go through all the steps I was able to login to the admin webpage, using IE, since the encryption is set to a lower level SSL. This also demonstrates you can down grade from v6 to v4.2.31

I can see the default SMB shares in Windows Explorer

When I visit https://readynas2/admin  I am able to login, but only the standard frame around the admin content is displayed, all of the controls are absent. I'll let it sync the 2 drives in it presently, overnight and see if it shows up correctly after the RAID activity is completed.

Thanks for helping get me this far, I expect not far from having a functional system again.

Message 16 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

Let it run over night, no change, reapplied recoveryUsb, reset to factory defaults again, reinstalled OS again, no change. I can see default SMB shares and access them, however I can't manage the system via the web gui. All I get is this:

Cynomus_0-1656429448234.png

it never populates with content. I tried IE and Firefox with compatibility setting to allow TLS1.0

Any more ideas?

Try the OS6 usb recovery?

Message 17 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Cynomus wrote:

Cynomus_0-1656429448234.png

it never populates with content. I tried IE and Firefox with compatibility setting to allow TLS1.0

Any more ideas?

Try the OS6 usb recovery?

Are you logging into https://nas-ip-address?  Or https://nas-ip-address/admin ?

Message 18 of 26
Sandshark
Sensei

An invalid model and/or serial number in RAIDar and a blank GUI display are usually a sign of a corrupted VPD (Vendor Product Data) file.  But that also usually stops you from accessing the contents via SMB.  The VPD is an encrypted file that contains the model and serial number data that only Netgear can create, and it also resides on the flash but cannot be recovered via USB recovery.  I assume it's to prevent folks from making a "do it yourself ReadyNAS" running ReadyNASOS on generic hardware.

The Netgear mods will usually help you recover your VPD.

Tagging @Marc_V to see if he can help.

Message 19 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

Are you logging into https://nas-ip-address?  Or https://nas-ip-address/admin ?

Message 20 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Cynomus wrote:

Thx.

I agree with @Sandshark that this symptom looks like a corrupt VPD file.

Only Netgear can fix it, hopefully one of the mods will offer to help - @Marc_V or @JeraldM 

Message 21 of 26
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the ping @StephenB!

Hi @Cynomus,

Please send me a picture of the ReadyNAS label showing both its model name and serial number via PM. 

Also, set your ReadyNAS to Secure Diagnostics Mode and PM me the port number as well.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 22 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

Sent

Message 23 of 26
Cynomus
Guide

Netgear fixed this problem and now the model number is no longer gibberish and I was able to upgrade to OS6

Thanks everyone for all of youassistance.

Message 24 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Cynomus wrote:

Netgear fixed this problem and now the model number is no longer gibberish and I was able to upgrade to OS6

Great news!  Thx for sharing the outcome.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements