× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDU 2000 raidar says corrupt root

ajwhitewolf
Aspirant

RNDU 2000 raidar says corrupt root

I hope i am doing this right, if not please forgive me.

I have an older unit that i purshacsed some time ago. it has a lot of data that I need to  access and  put on back up clouds.

non  of my  computers  or decives are allowing me access to the hard drive.

i just ran the raidar software and it is saying that  it has a corrupt root. any help? i don't care about the unit. but the data is  super important. there are a lot of music videos from my program on there and i need them for future shows.   it was working fine until just recently.  

is the corrupt root on the unit itself? or is that on the 2tb hard drive in the bay? it is a two bay and there is only one hard drive. curious if i purchased the unit off ebay without disks if i could just put the disk in the  replacement unit and be able to get that data off the disk?  any help would be greatly appreciated i operate a n independent broadcast and need those files!

Model: RNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDU 2000 raidar says corrupt root

@ajwhitewolf wrote:

is the corrupt root on the unit itself? or is that on the 2tb hard drive in the bay? 

The root is on the hard drive.  All ReadyNAS install the operating system on a small partition on the hard drive, and boot from it.  This error says that the OS partition isn't bootable.  It is quite possible that you also have data loss.

The next step is to power down the NAS, and connect the drive to a windows PC.  The PC can't read the file system, but you can use vendor tools to test the disk drive.  Use Seatools for Seagate drives, and LifeGuard for Western Digital.

You can also try a free utility (r-linux for windows), and see if it can find your data.  https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/

If you are the original purchaser of the NAS, you could also use Netgear's data recovery service: https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

@ajwhitewolf wrote:

curious if i purchased the unit off ebay without disks if i could just put the disk in the  replacement unit and be able to get that data off the disk? 

No, it won't.  The problem is on the disk itself, so switching to a different chassis won't help.

@ajwhitewolf wrote:

any help would be greatly appreciated i operate a n independent broadcast and need those files!

Hopefully you will be able to recover them.  After you do, you should put a backup plan in place for your data.  Devices can/do fail at any time.

Message 2 of 8
ajwhitewolf
Aspirant

thank you for this explanation. i searched and searched and was not finding the info. many links that existed in documentation were dead links. 

before this recent comeplete lock out. i restarted the unit a couple of times and the problem went away.  

I stumbled across a reset and power button aspect. but when i  press the reset button, then the power button. the unit just turns on , then off. which isn't what the directions says for getting into the menu aspect.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@ajwhitewolf wrote:

which isn't what the directions says for getting into the menu aspect.

You might not be using the exact directions.  Look on pages 14-15 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11.p...

Be very careful on the boot menu - the factory default is destructive, and you will lose your data if you accidently choose it.  The only option there that could possibly help you is the OS reinstall - and the odds of that fixing your problem are pretty small.

Message 4 of 8
ajwhitewolf
Aspirant

I will try it again later. but was pretty sure i was doing it the way described. 

-turn unit off

-press reset then power button while holding reset.

-various lights are suppose to come on

it just shuts back off . i will try again in a  little bit. i do appreciate your efforts. i have been trying to figure this out for weeks now. i have since purchased a 2tb cloud account. but need to get  into the hard drive to  move the files.  prior to this i didn't have a way to back up all of those files. there are so many.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Once you get the files off, you can zero the disk drive, and then insert it back into the NAS.  It will automatically do a factory install.  Then you can reconfigure it, and copy the files back.

Message 6 of 8
ajwhitewolf
Aspirant

Ah very good. I thought the unit was toast. I paid a lot for that thing brand new.

Do you know if the hard drive kit to usb that i have will work with that software link you sent me? Just purchased a universale one.
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

It should work - I've used USB adapters successfully.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements