× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDU4000 will not boot

chereszabor
Aspirant

RNDU4000 will not boot

Hi Everyone,

I am having issues booting my RNDU4000 after a few years of it sitting on the shelf (without power).

The symptoms: 

After plugging power cable: short press powers on the unit, Fan spins up to full, Power light blinks 2x per second (about), backup button light is on, Display does not light up. 

If unit is turned off and on again by holding the power buttons, if the button is pressed for a short time, the unit flickers on for a moment and then goes off again, if the button is heald on for a few seconds, the unit goes into the state mentioned above. 

Troubleshooting attempts: 

I have tried all different forms of reset (soft, hard) and there was no resonce. I also tried installing a drive into the unit, which it did nothing to change the resonce. 

Does anyone have any suggestions how I could resolve this?

Model: RNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDU4000 will not boot

@chereszabor wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions how I could resolve this?

About the only things you can replace are the power supply (PSU), the memory and the fans.  It's clearly not the fans.

Opening the unit and reseating the memory is worth a try - it might have gotten loose during the storage.  

If you have a spare ATX PSU, you can jury-rig it to power the NAS (with suitable extension cables).  That would test out the PSU failure theory.  Or just get a compatible replacement on speculation. @Sandshark often gives useful advice on this.

Message 2 of 7
chereszabor
Aspirant

Thanks SpephenB,

I tried using a different PSU with no change in symptoms. I also tried reseating and replacing the ram also without change.

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Try removing the battery, and just leave it removed.  The date will come up wrong until it syncs with the NIST server (assuming it gets that far), but the rest should come up as defaults.  I know of no specific reason this should work, but another user reported it working on a Pro6.  AFAIK, the battery only backs up the clock.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Try removing the battery, and just leave it removed. 

Worth a try, and if it works please do let us know.

@Sandshark wrote:

AFAIK, the battery only backs up the clock.

That's my understanding also.  So if you use the power schedule feature, it would misbehave if the NAS lost power when it was off.

Message 5 of 7
chereszabor
Aspirant

I removed the battery for ~30min, put it back together and still have the same symptoms.

I did notice that there is a 4-pin header at the back of the unit, would anyone know how to use it?

Any other ideas?

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

It's a 5V pseudo-RS-232 port.  Pin-out varies from NAS to NAS, but you can get some clues by Googling ReadyNAS serial port.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements