× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RR4360X - Intermittent Error - "power supply no longer detected" error

dallis11
Aspirant

RR4360X - Intermittent Error - "power supply no longer detected" error

I started seeing this error in the logs.  I've seen it twice about 4 days apart. The power supply is showing as online however.  Recommendations?

6.10.1v - ReadyNAS - 

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
dallis11
Aspirant

Re: RR4360X - Intermittent Error - "power supply no longer detected" error

Seeing this via term - dmesg on the actual system:

[1868417.577801] i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: SMBus is busy. Trying to release it by resetting HBSY.

SMBus is still busy. SSRESET is in place to reset chip.

Message 2 of 14
mdgm
Virtuoso

Message 3 of 14
dallis11
Aspirant

Now the PSU is showing up as offline and log is full of the busy busy errors. Could this then be a bad PSU?  It's under warranty but can't get to a live person without a paid contract. I'm on the latest version 6.10.1  readyNAS software.

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@dallis11 wrote:

It's under warranty but can't get to a live person without a paid contract. I'm on the latest version 6.10.1  readyNAS software.

You could go into https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/portal/mySupport.aspx and then select "contact support".  You can select the 4360 and then choose "replace my defective netgear product".  I believe that doesn't require a paid contract.

Message 5 of 14
dallis11
Aspirant

Thanks Steven,

I did that logged a ticket and then it said i had to call or it woiuld be cancelled in 24hrs.  When I called message said a paid contract was needed to talk to support and hung up. I had read someone else had the same issue. you'd think you could call for free on that. apparently they want money to diagnose.  A catch 22 it seems.

Would you say the fact that the PSU is staying offline that it is bad?  despite the smbus is busy errors?  Actually those have stopped now.

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@dallis11 wrote:

Would you say the fact that the PSU is staying offline that it is bad?  despite the smbus is busy errors?  Actually those have stopped now.

Well, something sounds wrong, and it seems more likely to be hardware than software.

@dallis11 wrote:

you'd think you could call for free on that. apparently they want money to diagnose.  A catch 22 it seems.

I don't think they actually charge if they find they need to do a warranty replacement.  But I agree that it does sound like a catch-22. Maybe @JohnCM_S and/or @Marc_V can facilitate.

Message 7 of 14
dallis11
Aspirant

Ok- thanks.. yeah it seems like the bus is trying to communicate with it and it is just dead.

Thanks alot for the contacts on the warranty- what's weird it seems like without a contract number that I can't even connect with support to initiate.  appreciate it.  will try the emails you gave me.

Message 8 of 14
dallis11
Aspirant

Sorry - final question - on the PSU replacement - seems like it is just a slide-in yes?

it has additional slots for more PSUs I read as well.  Thanks

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@dallis11 wrote:

Sorry - final question - on the PSU replacement - seems like it is just a slide-in yes?

it has additional slots for more PSUs I read as well.  Thanks

PSUs are hot-swappable (as long as at least two are working).  No idea on how many they normally include, and who you'd contact to buy more.  My own NAS are all desktop models.

Message 10 of 14
dallis11
Aspirant

Ha.. so I managed to get through to support and they are RMAing a replacement. Thanks!

I'm buying 2 additionally for more redundancy-  So if I only have one online I have to shutdown to do the new 2nd add?  Thanks for the help-

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@dallis11 wrote:

So if I only have one online I have to shutdown to do the new 2nd add? 

Again, it's not a unit I own.  But it seems to me that you should be able to hot-insert the second PSU.

Message 12 of 14
dallis11
Aspirant

Ok - fair enough.. you just had said if you had 2 online you could hotswap one is all.  Thanks for all the help- I have desktop 4 bay models at home too.  the 60 bay models @ work.. have 3 are a new experience for me.  

Message 13 of 14
dallis11
Aspirant

You were correct:

"The rr4360 supports up to four power supplies. Two are required. As long as two remain operating, the supplies are hot swappable."  from the manual.

Do you know how to identify how the PSUs are numbered?  I need to replace PSU3.

nothing in the docs about it.  is the chassis numbered?  Thanks so much!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements