× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RadyNAS Pro6 serial number is reported the MAC address

FlaviaS
Star

RadyNAS Pro6 serial number is reported the MAC address

About a year ago I bought a defective ReadyNAS Pro 6. The previous owner had it upgraded to OS6 before updating the bios. He then wanted to update the bios to the latest version but since there was no package available for OS6 he used some instructions from internet to apply the bios update in command line (flashrom command). At that point he got confused on the model of board he had and flashed the image for the Ultra6 after which the board obviously refused to boot. (all this I assumed based on what I discovered during my troubleshoting)

I bought the board, found the bios EEPROM socketed, read it an found the wrong image, then I applied the correct bios firmware extracted from the OS4.2 bios patch using a standalone programmer. After reinstalling the correct BIOS the Pro6 booted right away in the OS6 which was already there (version 6.3 or 6.4, I believe), I upgraded to the latest version (6.9.4 currently) and works well since with only 2 small problems:

1. When I look to register the Pro6 in ReadyCloud it is shown with a serial as a MAC address of the first LAN interface instead of the serial number I can read on the Pro6 sticker. It does not bother mee to much but would be great if there is a way to restore the serial number to match the sticker on the case. Anyone knows why ?

2. On the second LAN interface I enabled VLANS but they do not seem to work, same interface works great without VLANS but I need 3 Ip addresses on the box. if I look with whireshark I see a DHCP request on the correct VLAN, the DHCP server responds with an offer but the NAS never responds with a DHCP ACK. On the same switch port  when I connect an Ultra2, also with OS6 6.9.4 and VLANS enabled on the second LAN port, it works perfectly. Anyone aware of a problem with VLANS on Pro6 ?

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6310|ReadyNAS Pro 6 3TB (3 x 1TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RadyNAS Pro6 serial number is reported the MAC address

The serial number is in an encrypted file in the flash. It sounds like the previous owner may have done more than you know about.

The Netgear moderators have the tool for re-creating it, and you could PM one and ask if they would do so for you.  But since you aren't covered by a warranty, anyway, it really doesn't matter.

Message 2 of 4
mdgm
Virtuoso

No, sounds like this is one of a batch of very early Pro BE/Pioneer systems that shipped without the serial number programmed in by mistake. So the solution to use the MAC address of eth0 as a fallback for this scenario was developed.

It’s a very easy thing to fix.

If it was a Pro 6 it would have shipped with the latest BIOS.
Message 3 of 4
Migue75
Aspirant

Hi! 

i have exact the same problem, my readynas pro 6 shows the mac as serialnumber and i cannot register it on the site because mac number is 12 alphanumerics and the serial should be 13, its also impossible to connect to readycloud, its also because the serial?, it return 24002000011 as message after trying to login

greetings

Miguel

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements