× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Raid X - Raid 10 RN628X

NameAlreadyTake
Aspirant

Raid X - Raid 10 RN628X

I'm looking to update my existing 4 bay RN314 NAS to a Readynas RN628X 8 bay NAS...

For reference, I'm currently getting average transfer speeds to my existing RN314 circa 110-120MB-s over a 1Gbit network using 4 drives in Raid 10.

RE: RN628

Please can anyone assist with some advise. I generally prefer raid 10 as I can replace a failed drive (1 to 1 backup) which spans multiple drives... If I start with 4 drives in Raid 10, can I expand to 8 later without having to reset the drives in the NAS.

I can't find any stats for Raid-X. Please can anyone provide average read write speeds for Raid-X mode over a 10GBit network? I'm still to determine the drives that I want, so average based on standard NAS rated 3.5" magnetic disks circa 16GB are what I'd b looking to run with (Not solid state). 

In addition, what are the benefits / negatives of Raid-X bar expandability by adding drives when compared to Raid 10? 

Many thanks in advanced. 

James

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Raid X - Raid 10 RN628X

@NameAlreadyTake wrote:
There apear to some RN628X's available at some UK suppliers. This model is also showing current on the Netgear web site. Is this not the case? Has it been superseded?
Thanks, James

ReadyNAS generally have been hard to find for quite a while, and there are rumors here that Netgear is exiting the NAS business.  Netgear hasn't said, but it is very plausible - no new platforms introduced for some years, and recent firmware releases have been focused on maintenance/security fixes.

You might want to check the pricing on the units you are seeing with comparable Synology units.  (FWIW, I've never owned a Synology, so this isn't a purchase recommendation.  Just a suggestion that you check pricing from other vendors). 

@NameAlreadyTake wrote:
So am I right in assuming that if I start with 4x HDDs in the unit in raid 10 that I can add another 4 in later and it will expand the Raid 10 partition to fill all drives automatically while keeping all data?

Expansion wouldn't be automatic, as you'd be using flexraid.  You'd go into the volume settings, select the two added drives, and then click "Expand".  Here's a link to a post from a user who's gone through this process: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/RAID-10-Expansion/td-p/2064928

Note you can add the new disks in pairs, you don't need to add all four at the same time.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@NameAlreadyTake wrote:

For reference, I'm currently getting average transfer speeds to my existing RN314 circa 110-120MB-s over a 1Gbit network using 4 drives in Raid 10.

Which is all the speed you will get on a gigabit network connection.

@NameAlreadyTake wrote:

I can't find any stats for Raid-X. Please can anyone provide average read write speeds for Raid-X mode over a 10GBit network? I'm still to determine the drives that I want, so average based on standard NAS rated 3.5" magnetic disks circa 16GB are what I'd b looking to run with (Not solid state). 

XRAID is just an application on top of software RAID that manages expansion for mdadm (standard sofware RAID for linux).

Performance will depend on exactly what disk setup you have. 

• 2 disks - RAID-1
  • 3-6 disks of equal size - RAID-5
  • 7-8 disks of equal size - RAID-6

If disks are unequal in size, then the RAID configuration is more complicated - consisting of multiple RAID groups.  For instance, 4x8TB + 2x16 TB will give you a 6x8TB RAID-5 group concatentated with a 2x8TB RAID-1 group.

As far as performance goes, this review might be helpful:  https://www.storagereview.com/review/netgear-readynas-628x-nas-review Though it is more focussed on latency and iops, the bottom two graphs are throughput.

@NameAlreadyTake wrote:

In addition, what are the benefits / negatives of Raid-X bar expandability 

XRAID handles disks of different sizes automatically.  To get max capacity out of the array, you need to ensure that the biggest 2 disks are the same size with single redundancy (up to 6 disks).  The system switches to dual redundancy (e.g., RAID-6) when you insert disk 7.  At that point the biggest 4 disks need to be the same size.  Normally, you either replace a disk with one of the same size (to take one out of service), or upgrade to one that is either the same size (or larger) than the biggest disk in the array.

Overall, RAID-10 will give faster speeds (unless you are network-limited), but XRAID is generally simpler to expand.

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

A FWIW, unless you already have a source for the RN628X, it's currently a moot question.  I've not seen a RN628X for sale in quite some time.

Message 3 of 7
NameAlreadyTake
Aspirant

There apear to some RN628X's available at some UK suppliers. This model is also showing current on the Netgear web site. Is this not the case? Has it been superseded?
Thanks, James
Message 4 of 7
NameAlreadyTake
Aspirant

So am I right in assuming that if I start with 4x HDDs in the unit in raid 10 that I can add another 4 in later and it will expand the Raid 10 partition to fill all drives automatically while keeping all data?
Thanks.
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@NameAlreadyTake wrote:
Thanks, James

ReadyNAS generally have been hard to find for quite a while, and there are rumors here that Netgear is exiting the NAS business.  Netgear hasn't said, but it is very plausible - no new platforms introduced for some years, and recent firmware releases have been focused on maintenance/security fixes.

You might want to check the pricing on the units you are seeing with comparable Synology units.  (FWIW, I've never owned a Synology, so this isn't a purchase recommendation.  Just a suggestion that you check pricing from other vendors). 

@NameAlreadyTake wrote:

Expansion wouldn't be automatic, as you'd be using flexraid.  You'd go into the volume settings, select the two added drives, and then click "Expand".  Here's a link to a post from a user who's gone through this process: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/RAID-10-Expansion/td-p/2064928

Note you can add the new disks in pairs, you don't need to add all four at the same time.

Message 6 of 7
NameAlreadyTake
Aspirant

Thanks.

That was super easy... It took a bit of time to swap and sync one drive at a time. However once all 4 were in place, the free drive expanded to fill the new 4x18TB disks in raid 10. I'm now back to having a usable NAS unit again!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements