× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Raidar 6.4.0 not locating NAS

kkothamasu
Aspirant

Raidar 6.4.0 not locating NAS

I have my Readynas 104 connected to my network but Raidar doesn't seem to be able to locate it, I get the following message: "RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR storage on your network. Check that your storage device is powered on and connected correctly. For more help, visit http://my.netgear.com."

I can find the nas just fine on my network through my laptop and can access it just fine to move contents in and out but can't seem to get Raidar to locate it. My current setup has the main router (in the basement) connected to a gigabit switch (upstairs) and the nas (upstairs) connected to the switch. I also use the Google mesh wifi instead of the main router for wireless connection.

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

RAIDar uses a broadcast protocol to discover the NAS, and it is possible that the Google wifi mesh isn't carrying it.  Another possibility is that internet security software (or firewall) on the PC is blocking the traffic.

Try disabling any internet security or firewall software first.  Then try RAIDar when the PC is connected via ethernet to rule out the mesh.

Note that if you can access the NAS web ui using https://nas-ip-address/admin and you can access the shares with file explorer or finder, then the NAS is fine.

Message 2 of 7
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

What I would do is log into my Router and locate your NAS that way.  See what IP number it was assigned.  Generally, you can figure out which IP it is.   If you know the MAC number of the NAS, it's even easier to figure out.  If you have 2 or more Ethernet ports. the MAC address will be almost the same, just 1 digit off.

Once you know what the IP number is, you can just enter that number into your browser and get on it that way.  Myself, I went into my Router and locked the IP number I wanted to use for my NAS is it never changes.  Otherwise, it can as DHCP in your router auto assigns IP numbers as devices connect to it.  So my IP number of my NAS is 10.0.0.100 and 10.0.0.101.  I set my Router to give those Static IP numbers to my NAS.  It has 2 Ethernet ports. So 2 Numbers, 1 to each MAC address.  The MAC address looks something like 23:10:07:12:43:21.  Your Second Ethernet port may be something like 23:10:07:12;43:22.  Every Wired Ethernet port has it's own MAC address.  No 2 are the same.  Even for Wifi.  Your Wifi has it's own MAC address also. So if you have a device with a Wired Port and Wifi, there's a different MAC address for each of those.  

Most of my devices I have created a Static IP number for.  I find it makes for a more stable, problem free network!!!  It also makes it simpler to find something.  I know the IP address of most of my devices off hand.   My other NAS is using 10.0.0.110 and 10.0.0.111.   In my router, I can give basic names to each device I have an IP address for.  So I know what all my many devices that are connected to my network are.  From my Windows Desktop to my NAS, and even my iPad.   So when something NEW pops up, it's simpler to figure out what that is.  

I never use Raidar.  Or for my QNAP, they have Qfinder Pro.  I have no need for either of them.  To me they're pointless.   I guess they exist for a noobie.   If you don't know much about Networking, I guess they're useful.   Helping you find your device.  If you're always using it as your NAS is always changing IP address.  It will change if your NAS goes back off, or reboots and your router assigns it some other address using DHCP. (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)    As devices connect and disconnect for whatever reason, IP address change, UNLESS you have assigned a device it's own static IP number which will always be used and only used for the device you assign it to.  So every time I type or click on the link to 10.0.0.100, I know my ReadyNAS will be there.  ALWAYS!!!

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

What I would do is log into my Router and locate your NAS that way. 

Yes, and it's useful to reserve an IP address for the NAS there.  That's better than assigning static addresses (which are assigned in the client devices, not the router) - since it allows you to more easily manage your addresses, and eliminates the risk of losing connectivity when you upgrade routers.

That said, it's worth taking the time to get RAIDar to function.  It does have some diagnostic functions that can help when the NAS admin interface fails.

Message 4 of 7
kkothamasu
Aspirant

JBDragon1, thanks for the detailed reply! very helpful for sure!

I do know the IP off hand so that's how I interact with the NAS through my web browser. I just wanted to have the Radiar access to make it easier to check on the NAS.

Also, I've been too lazy and I think it's about time I assign IP addresses for all my devices for the benefits you outlined. So, my setup is a bit "strange" I think and I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. I have Verizon Fios -> Verizon Router (wireless signal turned off) -> Ethernet Run to upstairs -> Gigabit Switch and at this point I have an ethernet run to Google Wifi Primary Mesh point and I have two other ones to complete the mesh. The Google Wifi mesh is what I use for all my Wifi devices (it just seems to provide better coverage throughout the house). Another ethernet run from the switch is to the NAS. A. Do you may be suggest re-working this setup so things work a little better? and B. Can I still assign IP addresses to the wireless devices since they're connecting to the Google Wifi mesh? Although the Google Mesh is nice you can only use their app on a cell phone to control the network and so far haven't had a chance to look to see if there's a way to assign IP addresses through that app. 

Message 5 of 7
kkothamasu
Aspirant

Thank you, to both of your points I've been letting the router assign the IP for years and from time to time when we have long power outages I've noticed the IP address for the NAS gets reset and I'm having to find what it is everytime.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@kkothamasu wrote:

I have Verizon Fios -> Verizon Router (wireless signal turned off) -> Ethernet Run to upstairs -> Gigabit Switch and at this point I have an ethernet run to Google Wifi Primary Mesh point and I have two other ones to complete the mesh. 

I use Fios->Verizon Router -> Orbi myself.

If you are using the google wifi in bridge mode, then your devices should be getting their IP addresses from the verizon router, and you'd reserve addresses there.  Though Google doesn't recommend this mode, it's probably your simplest option.

If the google mesh and the verizon router are both in their normal router mode, then I suggest connecting the WAN port of the mesh directly to a Verizon LAN port, and then connect the switch via the mesh LAN port.  Then all the addresses would be assigned by the google mesh router.  That would require a second ethernet run from the primary mesh back to the switch.  In this mode the google mesh LAN network needs to be a different subnet than the Verizon LAN network.

Anyway, the process for reserving DHCP address in the google mesh is here: https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6274660?hl=en

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements