× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re-use old REadyNAs HDD's

a20rju
Aspirant

Re-use old REadyNAs HDD's

Hi, I got a 1TB drive that was in use on my old ReadyNAS Duo (RND2000 V2). Deciding that it is more useful in a PC, I've  connected it internally to a newly built Windows 10 PC. But, It shows up in Disk management as being only 30mb in total capacity..! 

Anyone have any ideas what could have happened to the rest of the storage and if I can get it back?

The recovery of the data isn't important....

Cheers in advance..,

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Re-use old REadyNAs HDD's

Usually Disk Manager shows the full capacity with a few partitions.  Though Windows doesn't support the file system, so they aren't mounted.

Try running vendor diags (WDC Lifeguard or Seagate Seatools for instance).  If the diags pass, you can try zeroing the drive (both have destructive write-zero tests).  Then look again at disk manager.

Message 2 of 10
a20rju
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll give that a go...,
Message 3 of 10

@StephenBThis is the procedure I always use to recycle my HDD to be reused on ReadyNas devices but Windows reformat stuff is suficient.

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

@StephenB This is the procedure I always use to recycle my HDD to be reused on ReadyNas devices but Windows reformat stuff is suficient.

OS 6 NAS won't add a formatted drive to the RAID array w/o confimation.  They will add unformatted drives immediately (which sometimes is a bit simpler).

One way to unformat a drive is to use the quick zeros write test in Lifeguard.  Another is to delete each "volume" on the disk with the windows disk manager (which deletes the partitions).  

Message 5 of 10

@StephenB  I really prefer a clean in order to avoid issues when the device rebuild the array!!!

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

@StephenB  I really prefer a clean in order to avoid issues when the device rebuild the array!!!

I'm not sure if you are agreeing or not.  Unformating and the quick zeros test will both result in the ReadyNAS treating the disk as a blank drive.  If you are uncertain of the drive health, run the full write zeros test.

Message 7 of 10

@StephenB  I do agree with you zero write is for me the best solution:

The more you avoid issues the less issues you have!

Message 8 of 10
a20rju
Aspirant

Thank you all for replying..
Message 9 of 10

@a20rju  you are welcome!!!

Because of @StephenB and other every day I am wiser and less idiot 🙂 !

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements